Unidentified plastic part for ZX Avantage.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wishy

Unidentified plastic part for ZX Avantage.

Post by Wishy »

I've always had an unidentified plastic part in the glovebox of my '96 ZX estate. Curiosity has finally taken me to try and find out what it is. It looks like in should fit in my car somewhere but the for the life of me I can't see where. There is no part number on it just a moulding date stamp.

Front

Back

Any ideas?
Last edited by Wishy on 14 May 2008, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
'94 Xantia 1.9TD LX 202k RIP
'96 ZX Avantage 1.9D 140k Sold still going strong
2000 Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo 91k (Current Family Car!)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Found some plastic bits in my latest purchased BX. After 4 month I recognised it was broken parts from a very popular childrens toys over here :lol:
Some of us humans have the odd habit of picking up any small bit that looks like "something" - and put it in the glovebox ...

I cant recognise your "ZX-part". And since it does not seems like you are missing anything on your ZX - it might just be one of those odds ...

BTW : have a look on your battery - it DOES in fact looks like one of those pole covers that have to be removed on new batteries.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

I've got one of those rattling around in my ZX glovebox too... :lol:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats what the glove box is for aint it, any and all left over nuts, bolts and bits and pieces, after doing any work on the car
regards malcolm
Wishy

Post by Wishy »

:lol: I should add that it's taken me a year since getting the car to be curious enough to ask what it is!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Is it not something like a seat-runner end cap :?:
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

mbunting wrote:Is it not something like a seat-runner end cap :?:
Thats a good bet - but nothing like that shows on the parts diagram for seats/fastenings in the service list.
To me it looks more like a blank cover for any optional equipment dash/panel switches.

Could also be part of the covering for the handles usually found above the doors.

What about any covers for roof bar fittings ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I've got one of those too.

I think it was in the glove box when I bought the car second hand.

Mine's got some markings in the grooves as follows:-

MECAPLAST

Mecaplast are a company who supply plastic parts to car manufacturers. I'm not sure if that's a Citroen part number or a Mecaplast one. Perhaps somebody can look it up on the Citroen parts website.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The number starting 96 certainly looks like a Citroen part number, but it doesn't return any hits on service.citroen. I had a good look round our (94 Avantage) ZX last night, but can't see anywhere that would fit.

The mystery remains!

Odd that more than one person has the same bit floating about!!
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it almost looks like it might fit on or around the steering wheel, maybe on the rear face on the back of the wheel itself
regards malcolm
Wishy

Post by Wishy »

the_weaver wrote:Mine's got some markings in the grooves as follows:-

MECAPLAST
Ditto, exactly the same on mine. I just didn't notice it before. For the record my date stamp is Nov '95 (3 months before my car was registered) and the part was moulded from cavity D. :roll:

I had a quick look at the various suggestions last night (albeit without the part in my hand) and couldn't see anywhere where it would fit. I did however discover that my steering column is adjustable which I had never realised previously. :oops:

If there's 3 of us with these bits it must surely be a ZX part. This is now starting to bug me.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is probably a superfluous bit they ordered but never use, so they chuck them in the glovebox to drive you all nuts :D
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Seatbelt anchor area ?
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I think I might have worked out where the plastic part comes from. I was removing the top and bottom side trim panels in the hatch today and following the instructions in the Haynes manual it said to remove a plastic clip from the base of the rear seat cushion. Well, the clips are missing on my car, but it looks like the mystery part might fit here.

At the base of the rear seat back, on each end (near the doors) there is a metal rod which forms a hinge for the seat back to pivot on. The lower plastic side trim panel in the hatch extends down to meet this hinge rod. The trim panel has a cutout which is bigger than the hinge rod and the mystery plastic part seems to be there to cover up the cutout and to locate the trim panel.

Perhaps interested parties could have a look at the hinge points at the base of their rear seat backs to see if somebody still has the part in place. Then we'll know for sure that this is where it fits. It's probably easier to see if you put the seat back in the down position.

Paul
Wishy

Post by Wishy »

Forgot about this thread. I may have some information that may help. For a laugh I went into to my local Citroen dealer to ask if they knew. The young lad behind the counter didn't know but couldn't have been more helpful. He promised to check with Citroen (after taking the moulding number down) and get back to me. He rang me back a few days and faxed this

to my work. The relevant part is the circled number 7. Unfortunately I couldn't see where this went in my boot. I wasn't sure whether me having an estate means that the boot layout is different.

I'll have a look with the seats down later. :)