Bio-Diesel and 2.1TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

windysurferuk

Bio-Diesel and 2.1TD

Post by windysurferuk »

Is anyone using bio-diesel in their 2.1 Xantia.
I have tried it in mine and apart from it being a bit lumpy on start up everything seems OK.

I know the Lucas pump is not really up to using SVO so is the bio likely to
cause any damage?

Thanks

Gaz
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It`s something I have wondered about myself. I will use B50 in my 1.9TD Xantia. I don`t envisage any probs with this. If your Bio is less than perfect then B50 may be the way with Lucas pump. If it`s really pristine stuff it may run fine on B100.....in summer!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Lucas EPIC pump in the 2.1TD is such a delicate little flower and so, so expensive to replace if it goes wrong that personally, I'd not run it on anything but the finest diesel.

That's just a personal view. It should be fine on biodiesel provided it is properly made, meets specification and has completely reacted. What is essential is to ensure the brew meets the high lubricity requirements of the Lucas pump. In common with all Lucas pumps, they can seize and destroy themselves under conditions of insufficient lubricity.

I wonder if there is a diesel lubricity additive you can use to help in this respect?

The other matter is to ensure the pump seals are resistant to bio use. I don't know but ask the folks here. They should know but beware that they hate the EPIC pump!

What you must never do is run a Lucas pump on SVO. It's a death sentence for it.

How long does it run lumpy for? I find mine runs just a touch lumpy for a few seconds on an early morning start when the outside temperature is below about 5 degrees. This time of the year it runs like a clock straight from startup.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

I'd say don't do it, if you have a lumpy start up now, but not before then something has changed. I ran 70/30 veggie in my ZX 1.9td (bosch) and that didn't run lumpy at all even on start up.

Th EPIC pump is a nice one from my experience, and I wouldn't dare to spoil it. Don't do it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

deian wrote: Th EPIC pump is a nice one from my experience, and I wouldn't dare to spoil it. Don't do it.
I have to agree with that Dei, it is possibly a major contributor to the outstanding performance, character and economy of the 2.1TD.

I'm a big fan of Lucas pumps generally and apart from their inability to run SVO, which becomes more and more academic as each day passes, I think they see the Bosch pump off in terms of power, economy and ease of repairing them when they leak.

Yes, don't do it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Don`t quote me on this one but after about 94? most manufacturers went over to Viton to combat low sulphur diesel and its general effect on pumps and seals. With low sulpur diesel as little as 5% Bio is enough to combat lubricity issues. If the guys Like HC11 on that forum are wary of the Epic pump then I would investigate further.

You want proof of guys who have used the Bio on an Epic pump and noting their experiences. The Lubricity is there aplenty with good Bio and if made properly then Viscoscity should not be an issue in Summer. I quite believe that Epic pumps will have been damaged with Veg and bad Bio ....so it may be a case of give a dog a bad name.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
deian

Post by deian »

I always thought Bosch did better stuff, but that pump shows that Lucas can do excellent pieces of engineering.

I have heard bad stories about the Lucas pumps misbehaving, but it is a more complex machine, and stories of the hardyness of the Bosch pump and it's simpler design, but as Citrojim says, it's engineered pretty much exactly for that engine running diesel only and does it really well if it isn't disturbed.

To be honest, I've had my fun with veggie oil in my ZX with a bosch pump, it went really well, but the price of veggie is and will go up, as well as SVO eventually.

If you do try it, let us know how it goes, but don't get your hopes up too much.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

To be honest, I've had my fun with veggie oil in my ZX
Does your wife know about this?..... :lol:

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you do a high enough mileage to warrant it, fitting a Bosch mechanical pump from an XM would probably the answer. Theres a brand new one on Ebay for £150.00, they are more reliable that the electronic system too. I dont know what the economy from the EPIC pump is but my XM with a Bosch pump will exceed 50 mpg, driven sympathetically.
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

I wouldn't use bio-diesel on anything, I've heard nothing but problems from people who have used it.
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

To be honest i have wondered about this but my dad thus far has done 10,000 miles with no issues other than what appears to be air ingress at some point.

Like its been said above by Jim, its teh quality of the fuel that is the biggest affect on your pump.

Even so we have a spare pump, turbo, clutch, and pistons should the worst ever happen!! :D
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

Thanks for the replies.

Think I'll stick with good old diesel.
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000