C5 Headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wigelywoo
My Cars:

C5 Headlights

Post by wigelywoo »

If I put my lights on auto sensor, they will come on even in daylight.

I have had a new windscreen fitted recently an I noticed that one of the sensors looks like it has condensation in it, could this be the cause and if so what is the cure.
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Is the condensation between the windscreen and the sensor? Can it be removed and stuck in an airing cupboard for a few days? I'm guessing the condensation is changing the light levels getting to the sensor so the car thinks its dark.
If it comes off easy and drying doesn't work, you could get another from a scrappy?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

Been Fixed
Took car back to windscreen people yesterday and he fitted a new "Gel" pack on sensor.
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I find that my headlights will come on automatically in bright sunlight, usually after 3-4 minutes driving.

I took this to be a safety feature - oncoming traffic with sun in their eyes can much more easily see headlights than an unlit car. As I would naturally use headlights under these conditions anyway I don't have a problem with it.
In normal but not excessively bright conditions they don't illuminate, except when transiting tunnels and under large road bridges.

It amuses me the way it does that - and the reactions of drivers unaware of automatic lights.

I wish the rain sensor worked though, just had to close my windows, left them open all night and it has been peeing down since god-knows-when :cry:
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

myglaren wrote: I wish the rain sensor worked though, just had to close my windows, left them open all night and it has been peeing down since god-knows-when :cry:
Rain sensor only works with ignition or engine on. I deliberatly left my windows open on a rainy day, awaiting the rain to come and the windows to close. The inside didn't get too wet before I realised is wasn't going to do anything about the windows. Glad the remote works from a long distance!.

My lights don't turn on in bright light, although perhaps cumbrian bright light is not the same as southern bright light.
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My rain sensor doesn't work at all, but it is supposed to close windoows and sunroof where applicable, with the vehicle unattended, closed and locked, precisely to cicumvent idiots like me from returning to soggy seats (happens far too often, at least the C5 has no sunroof, really bad news that when left open overnight :cry: )

I am only slightly south of you, mooseshaver, on South Tyneside.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

[quote="myglaren"] but it is supposed to close windoows and sunroof where applicable, with the vehicle unattended, closed and locked, quote]

Right ! LAter i am out with a jug of water and will see what it does. My rain sensor works fine when engine on.

I just need the car to close the window when I deliberatly leave it open to show off the remote window closing, then walk away forgetting to do the showing off part :oops:
what a great feature that would be
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I've just sorted out a problem with the rain sensor on my HDi, the wipers would operate from a steady intermittant to going berserk irrespective of rain on the screen because the sensor had come away from the screen. I cut up one of those sticky mirror pads to get the metal tags that the sensor locks onto to stick them to the screen.

The sensor has to be pushed right against the screen (so that the silicone pads appear dark) to work correctly.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH