405 Drivers Door Elec Window

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

amjake

405 Drivers Door Elec Window

Post by amjake »

Hi All

Cable is going as it is 'twanging' on up/down, garage confirmed.

Looking at door notice all screws are star type (my daughters VW was so easy!) Which is best a set of star attachments for rachet or go with screw drivers?

Also to save on buying Haynes can anyone give a sequence for taking door apart.

Many thanks

Kevin
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Proper screwdrivers are better to use because they can fit into narrower spaces and they don't leave their tips behind at the bottom of deep holes.

My experience of modern Haynes is that it won't be much help. I've not taken a 405 trim off but it's likely to be straightforward. There's a knack to the lock button that Haynes won't tell you. It's been mentioned on here so a search should find it.

Somebody on eBay is selling cable repair kits for these. I don't know how good they are but it's worth a look.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
amjake

Post by amjake »

Thanks Richard

Did run a search before post but nowt found.

Ordered the kit from guy on ebay based on his feedback (the LanRov users seem pleased) and the price of a new one. Will post on how it goes.

Removal looks straightforward, a variety of 'star' screws to be removed more concerned about insides and being prepared eg. do the doors have those plastic panel clips that break on removal, if so I'll get some of those for refit etc.

Kevin
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

We took the door panel off my first 405 due to a problem with the drivers window, from memory the panel was pretty easy to remove and refit.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi all,

Update on window repair.

Door off fairly straightforward, lock plunger!!!! sussed with help from body shop friend (tiny screwdriver into top slot and wedge downwards into lower slot and comes off with door panel)

Window repair kit from guy off ebay and OK but(!) fiddley, time consuming, very very comprehensive instructions for repair and bonding glue. Had unit repaired by friend in workshop, carried out instructions methodically and glue curing etc. refitted unit.

It worked well for a day and then one of collets gave way on wire end and window knackered again.

Decision time rain forecast window held up with duck tape, do I get more glue etc. what next????

Sod this for a game of soldiers ring GSF, regulator in stock, next day delivered, fitted and window working perfectly!!

Moral of story, may save a few bob but with regards to time, effort and inconvienience in hindsight I would/should have gone with new unit in first place. (not a great lover of breakers parts)

However if the repair had worked....

Kevin
citroen7
My Cars: 73 stag,86 bx gt 89 bxgti 90 bxgti 4x4 91 metor auto 97 p38 2004 c5 2.0 vtr 2006 c5 estate 1.6

Post by citroen7 »

i used the same kit to repair my 405 yesterday i would agree that it is a bit fiddley but does work very well the important thing was getting the tension right i didnt the first time and i also crimped the ferrals on as well as glueing them so yes i think i would use the kit again How much was the new unit from gsf?
citroen7
My Cars: 73 stag,86 bx gt 89 bxgti 90 bxgti 4x4 91 metor auto 97 p38 2004 c5 2.0 vtr 2006 c5 estate 1.6

Post by citroen7 »

well i will eat my words the ferral came off one end yesterday so i pulled it all apart last night and was wondering what to do i had got a price for one coplete from one of the guys on ebay which was £28 delivered happy days i thought but he emailed back to say the unit was us :( so i tried one of the others and es they had one £52.50 :o i said i would ring back :!:
so there was i with it all in bits and i looked across at the xantia and thought wheres the ones of that so i pulled everything out and what do you know they are allmost identical except the passenger one fits the drivers side ,but to my dismay i had broken the plastic clip so can i get the drivers one to fit well yes but you need to drill a few extra holes and put a few spacers here and there but it works the only difference is that down is up but i am sure that can be sorted
just thought i would pass this on :D
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi citroen7

£73.44, did find another on net for £45 inc del bought but email back back saying out of stock, rang GSF and delivered next day.

Kevin