Xantia Speedo Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Penguin
My Cars:

Xantia Speedo Problem

Post by Penguin »

Morning all.

Just had my clutch, clutch cable and clutch clip replaced and since I have got it back the speedo appears to be a bit random. I'm driving along and the speedo says 50 then without a change in my speed the speedo will drop to 40 and then go back again. It moves in a kind of jerky way rather than a smooth drop down and smooth rise. Last night it was constatntly fluctuating throughout my 20 minute journey. Question is...is this conincidence with the work I've had done or could the clutch chaps have inadvertantly had a hand in this?

Cheers

Penguin
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Penguin

Depends what type of speedo it is. '95 was about the changeover point from mechanical to electronic. The speedo drive is on the gearbox housing just above the entry of the drivers side drive shaft. If you can get to it you will see whether it has a mechanical cable or a pair of wires connected to it. If its the cable type, the cable probably needs replacing, if its electronic it could be the sensor itself or a poor connection on the wiring from it.

Peter.N.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for that Peter, I'll try and get a look at it sometime soon.

If the cable needs replacing, I assume it is a pig of a job? After all, it is a Citroen :roll:
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Never done one I'm afraid, shouldn't be to bad, taking out the instrument panel is probably the worst bit. :evil:
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

Hiya, I had a "50 mph" speedo problem. It was the electronic one. I found that the odometer worked fine which showed it was getting the correct signal from the speed sensor but speed always said 50 or nothing!
Changed it for one from scrapyard and perfect after that.
Had a look at the old one after I'd removed it and it seemed to be a mechanical problem within the speedo itself to do with the needle damping effect, so not repairable for us mortals.
Hope that helps.

Simon.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Hmmmm. The speedo cable is a mechanical type. The speedo definitely flicks UP to a higher speed for a number of seconds that seems to vary before returning to normal and this process repeats. It doesn't wave about randomly, it has a definite, quick rise to a point where it stops and then a definite, quick return. Having spoken to a colleague regarding how these mechanical systems work I can't fathom out what is happening. I could understand it if the speed reading dropped from normal but not this way round. On sunday it was doing it a lot when I was driving at about 30mph but when I cleared urban roads and drove at speeds of 60 or more it seemed fine.

Any ideas other than replacing the cable?

Cheers

Penguin
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Have you tried re-seating the gearbox end of the cable?
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi Penguin.

I would go along with Mikes idea of checking the gearbox end, it is so easy to get the cable in slightly wrong, if left like it too long it will round off the corners of the square drive at the end of the cable.

Also worth checking the joint in the two halfs of the cable, the same problem can happen here.

Cheers
Martin.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

MikeT wrote:Have you tried re-seating the gearbox end of the cable?
No I haven't yet. I'm not really sure what could make it run fast though this is what is really puzzling me. If it weren't seated properly I would expect it to slip and therefore read low. You're probably correct though as I am a mechanical ignoramous. :(
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Try doing as Mike says, disconnect the cable at the gearbox end, check that nothing is kinked/bent. It sounds as though the cable is possibly getting stuck and then unwinding causing the excessive reading. The normal problem is that the needle wavers. The square end on the cable can wear which causes it to slip. If the cable comes out the bottom end, you can put a washer bechind it to alter the position.
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi Again.

Forgot to say, whilst the end is out of the gearbox, you can check the operation with a fast drill. Simply fit the end of the cable into the chuck and squeeze the trigger, then get someone to see if the speedo moves smooth, if it does then there is nothing wrong with the head unit.

If I remember correct, you have to run the drill backwards to increase the speedo speed.

Cheers
Martin.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Phew, that was an avalanche of posts!
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for all the advice, I'll try and have a go when I get chance. It'll be a couple of weeks though as I'm really busy ATM. Will report back when I have something to tell!

One more quick question though, does the square plastic end come complete with a new cable? (should I have to go down that route!)
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Yes the square bit is part of the cable, this is the bit that will round off! and I fear that if you leave this for 2 weeks that is excactly what will happen.

May be better to make some time to check now rather than have to buy a new cable in 2 weeks time?

Cheers
Martin.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Valid point Martin, however I did notice that driving home from work and into and out of a neighbouring town this evening the speedo didn't misbehave at all. It's all very odd. Maybe the threat of being worked on scared it into behaving itself!
95 Xantia 1.9td SX