xsara west coast 1.4i possible map sensor fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markmay
My Cars:

xsara west coast 1.4i possible map sensor fault

Post by markmay »

i have a 1999 xsara west coast 1.4i which has the following problem.

when engine is at working temperature it revs whilst at a standstill and when you try to accelerate does not pick-up immediately or sometimes stalls very easily, if it does stall, it is very hard to re-start and there is a strong smell of petrol.
I have been told that the problem is most likely to be the MAP sensor.

Is this correct? and if so where is it located and how do you replace it.

thanks mark
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Mark and a big welcome to the forum :D

The MAP sensor might be the problem although they are normally fairly reliable. More likely is an inlet manifold air leak anywhere between the engine and throttle butterfly causing the MAP sensor to receive false information.

A very common cause of an air leak is the pipe that connects the MAP sensor to the inlet manifold. These often perish. Look for a small bore pipe leaving the inlet manifold and going to a small box with an electrical connector on it. I'm not at all familiar with the Xsara unfortunately. In other TU engined cars I've seen, it is up on the bulkhead or the RH inner wing. If you listen carefully you may be able to hear the air leak hissiing.

Hopefully, soon, a fellow Xsara owner will tell you where the MAP sensor is on your car.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
markmay
My Cars:

xsara west coast map sensor

Post by markmay »

Thanks Jim,

Have just had a good look/listen to the engine bay, but can't locate the pipe. I can however hear air hissing, but am unsure where it is coming from. It is most prominent around the area of the belts so i am not certain if its them that's making the noise.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Hi Mark,

I think this is the MAP sensor on our Xsara 1.4.

I'm new to all these fancy control devices on petrol cars (more of a Diesel man) so I have no idea of what the symptoms of a dodgy MAP sensor would be...I'm sure someone on the forum will though.

If the engine is reving due to an air leak a good way to find this is to spray WD40 onto any joints you suspect....if the reving drops check the joint.

The engine in our Xsara does tend to sound like it's hissing a bit when its running so don't confuse this with an air leak.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
markmay
My Cars:

Post by markmay »

Thanks uncle buck,
found it straight away, exactly as your picture.
all i need to do now is buy a replacement and see if it solves the problem. have rung around and dealers don't seem to stock them, but are about £30 to order.

cheers Mark
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

As you are not sure that this is your problem could you not try a breakers yard for the part...the 1.4 engine was fitted to a lot of Peugeot & Citroen vehicles & the MAP sensor you need was probably fitted to other makes also.
Get the numbers / code from your part & I'm sure you will find the part you need.

I also tend to find that whenever I visit a breakers yard when I get home there is always a few other spares that have managed to find their way into my pocket somehow ! :wink:
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
markmay
My Cars:

xsara 1.4i MAP sensor

Post by markmay »

Thanks Uncle Buck,
Yeah, sounds like a good idea, i think I'll go with the minimum amount of cash in my pocket, coz I know what you mean (alloys,spoilers)

Mark
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Replacing parts on speculation can be an expensive business and if money is an issue, I wouldn't advise you take that route.

If you have a multimeter, it should be possible to test the output is not only within range (which is all the ECU can test for) but also giving correct readings according to vacuum.

Have a read here for an idea...

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubles ... 03a_06.htm
Last edited by MikeT on 03 May 2008, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Where is Pensnett Mark?

If you were by any chance near me, I could give it a proper diagnostics session for you. I guess you are a long, long way away though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
uncle buck
My Cars:

Re: xsara 1.4i MAP sensor

Post by uncle buck »

Go with Mike's suggestion first.
markmay wrote:Thanks Uncle Buck,
Yeah, sounds like a good idea, i think I'll go with the minimum amount of cash in my pocket, coz I know what you mean (alloys,spoilers)
Mark
No No No...the bits in my my pocket were free ! :wink:
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
markmay
My Cars:

Post by markmay »

Thanks citrojim,
pensnett is in the west midlands between Dudley and Stourbridge, so a little to far to nip down.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

uncle buck wrote:I also tend to find that whenever I visit a breakers yard when I get home there is always a few other spares that have managed to find their way into my pocket somehow ! :wink:
VAPR!

Value Added Parts Retrieval