Xantia steering wheel removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kellyo

Xantia steering wheel removal

Post by kellyo »

There are some good descriptions of removing the Xantia steering wheel & airbag on this site but I'm stuck at the beginning. There's a soft plastic centrepiece which sits in the middle of the wheel & covers the airbag & steering whel nut. According to haynes you'gently prise it off'. I've been gentle & firm but it refuses to let go & is starting to fatigue. Do I just keep pulling & prising with a screw driver until it lets go, even at the exspense of tearing it & replacing it or is there somrthing else which haynes hasn't revealed?
I'll be grateful for any insights
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If your Xantia does not have an airbag then yes you simply prise off the centrepiece, however if it has an airbag the procedure is as follows;

Firstly make sure you have the radio code as you need to disconnect the battery to avoid the airbag potentially being set off during disconnection. Having disconnected the battery leave it for 30 minutes to allow any residual power to dissapate away then turn the wheel so that it sits at 90 degrees and use a Torx 30 driver to remove the two airbag securing bolts behind the wheel then gently prise the orange airbag connector away and remove the airbag. Unplug the stereo remote connector (and Hydractive one if fitted) then undo the wheel securing nut halfway (this avoids the wheel suddenly becoming free and hitting you in the mouth as you pull on it :roll: ) wiggle the wheel free etc, job done.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

DickieG wrote:then undo the wheel securing nut halfway (this avoids the wheel suddenly becoming free and hitting you in the mouth as you pull on it :roll: )
That particular piece of advice tends to come from people who have learned the hard way :lol:
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.