Just been hit by a stupid woman!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barbarian

Just been hit by a stupid woman!

Post by Barbarian »

Some woman just pulled out on me and has damaged the rear door and the back bumper is hanging off. It was a glancing blow. Iv been contacted by her insurance company and they said they are going to get the car inspected. Thing is its damaged but not that badly damaged that its not driveable. Im sure they will just right it off as its a P reg xantia. But iv just put new brakes, had the fan belt changed and the timing belt done 3 months ago. How much do you think they will offer me for the car? Is there anyway I can get money for the car and keep driving it? Id just secure the rear bumper and drive it until next march when the mot runs out then scrap it or sell if anybody wants it.

Im also going to claim for a personal injury, I have a slight soar head and my ears and neck feel funny. My girl friend was in the car and two children who are only toddlers and got a big fright in the accident however they are too young to tell you if they have a soar head or anything. one is 18months old the other has just turned 3. Any advice on how I should proceed with this?

There was also a witness to this accident who Gave me his name and address.
1900sr

Post by 1900sr »

As you're not at fault, you can if you wish insist that your car is repaired. You are entitled to be put back into the position you were in before the accident. You may have a fight on your hands to get that though.

If you want to claim for personal injury you need to get checked out by a doctor, the same goes for any passengers. If you have legal cover on your insurance it may well be worth contacting them.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Looking more closely at the car it is not that badly damaged just the rear door as far as I can tell and the back bumper is hanging off, no damage to the boot. I cant see how the rear bumper is hanging off as there is a gap between the dent in the door and the bumper.
paulbx
My Cars:

inspect damage

Post by paulbx »

Inspect the floor under the seat and under the boot/rear to ensure that the floor plan has not rippled.
Make sure you get that sorted when its repaired,

If its not your fault you can insist as perviously described on a repair.

PaulB
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Barbarian,

The exact same thing happened to my wife a couple of years ago. The other party's insurance came out to have a look and basically wrote the car off as it was too expensive to fix ( Ren.19 M reg 250,000miles ). The car had suffered a smallish dent / scratch to the n/s/f passenger door and a big dent / scratch to the n/s/r passenger door. Car drove fine just looked a mess. They gave us a cash settlement of £400 I think and we got to keep the car. Carried on driving it for another 9 months then px'd for a Citroen.
Your case sounds the same, just stick out for as bigger payoff as you can get, ie don't accept the first offer they give you.

HTH

Gammy
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Did your wife not get any sort of personal injury claim as well? I was rear ended before in my Nissan and it was old and was just written off even tho it was only really just minor bump but I got an additional 2 grand personal injury money. Even tho I only had a slight stiff neck the next day and a headache that night. I don't really care about the car to be honest and would rather they just gave me money for the car to get it fixed then id just drive it until Im ready to scrap it without actual getting fixed because the bodywork has already started to rot at some places due stone chips and that.

Its the personal injury claim Im more interested in. But my two kids are just toddlers and cant exactly describe how to they are feeling to a doc. So if i claim for me and the girl then they might say ah but what about the kids why arnt u claiming for them
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

If your policy includes legal cover you just need to contact them and they will get a solicitor to deal with it, otherwise there are plenty of lawyers only too happy to persue a claim you for on a no win no fee basis, and would be only too happy to give you all the advice you need. Not that I agree with that sort of thing, but that's the world we live in today. :roll:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

When I first saw your thread title my first reaction was ...."Bloody well slap her back" :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

lexi wrote:When I first saw your thread title my first reaction was ...."Bloody well slap her back" :lol:
Mine was "well you married her". :lol:

Back to the subject, you should be able to negotiate to keep the car and take a payment for it's value minus it's scrap value. Then have it repaired to whatever standard you like.