Fitting a CD autochanger to a new-ish C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Fitting a CD autochanger to a new-ish C5

Post by pete_wood_uk »

Another question about my shiny new C5. It's a 2007 2.0 HDI 16v exclusive estate, so under the driver's seat it has a cradle for a CD autochanger, and a 12-pin socket on the end of a cable, but no actual autochanger. The radio is an RDS/Radiotext one with a CD slot, but not the one with Bluetooth. There's no Navidrive.

The people at www.addacdchanger.co.uk sell a "Citroen-compatible" Sony changer for £155, but have no idea whether it'll work in my car without the actual radio part number. I don't particularly want to start dismantling the dash of a car I've had only 4 days! I talked to the local dealer parts dept but their systems only say, for the C5, that it's a radio and don't give the manufacturer's model number.

I thought I'd ask if anyone's done this, or has a clue about where I start - either in terms of who I should talk to or how to get the dashboard apart...?

The 12-pin socket under the seat is the same physical connector as is used by the factory-fit Clarion CD changer in the boot of my old Xantia estate; however that changer doesn't work when plugged in - I tried it - so either the pin-out is different or the control codes are different, or both. No fuses blew, but nothing happened, the dashboard didn't recognise the CD changer as a source.

Many thanks for any help
Pete
Xantia HDi 110 Excl Estate 140k
C5 HDi 138 Estate
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

It may be the Blaupunkt 5 disc changer, this is what seems to be quite common on PSA stuff. I would suggest though look in to the USB kit, as the Blaupunkt changer does not read CDRW or MP3.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I can't be certain about this but generally the connectors are bespoke and the head unit can need dealer upgrading to recognize the changer.

Steve.
not applicable
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

both the C5 & the xantia have completely different CD changers. the C5 is multiplexed & the Xantia is not. on the C5 the multifunction display & the BSI both need to be programed to say it has a CD changer otherewise even the original C5 on wont work.
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

Thanks very much for your comments, this ties in with what I've found. Having done some more googling, it seems that the aftermarket changers are *unlikely* to work (no-one will guarantee that they will) and that I'd anyway have to pay a £40+VAT dealer charge to get them to reprogram the car, even to find out. The ones that addacdchanger.co.uk sell for Citroens are for the pre-facelift C5, when it had Clarion or Philips radios in it, rather than the later multiplex (not quite sure what that means...) Blaupunkt RD4.

Citroen dealers themselves are now selling "reconditioned" Clarion changers which are alleged to be suitable for my C5 for £169, plus the £40 reprogramming charge, plus VAT. So £250 in all. That's only about 50 quid more than the aftermarket alternative, and does at least seem that it might work.

Now to worry about whether I want to spend the money or not. Actually, it's our "nice" car so it's therefore my wife's, so I guess it's up to her... :-)

Thanks!
Pete
Xantia HDi 110 Excl Estate 140k
C5 HDi 138 Estate
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Another possibility would be to buy an iPod interface (assuming you have an iPod). You'd still need the input switching on mind you.

As far as I'm aware all C5 are multiplex wired. Mine's a 53 plate and uses a RD3 head unit.

Steve.
not applicable
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

Im considering the USB link too to replace my changer. Mine is the Blupunkt one, which whilst is good quality sound, limts to CD-R and CD only with no mp3 on the changer. Its failed twice now too under warranty (56 plate). Oh its in the 1007 not a Citroen, but is the same as the C2/C3 units I think.

I've RT3 colour unit, but its rumored the USB box does not function correctly with the unit, anybody have an RT3 and USB box working?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

pete_wood_uk wrote:The ones that addacdchanger.co.uk sell for Citroens are for the pre-facelift C5, when it had Clarion or Philips radios in it, rather than the later multiplex (not quite sure what that means...) Blaupunkt RD4.
Mk 1 C5 has the early VAN/CAN multiplexing, mk2's & mk3's have full CAN multiplexing. not much difference apart from full CAN runs at higher speeds & no longer also uses the VAN protocol.

The USB box will work sound wise with the RT3 radio but it wont display track info etc on the colour screen.