Admiral51 Citroen Adventures

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
admiral51
Donor 2023

Unread post by admiral51 »

Well its been one of those months :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having sent the VSX for its MOT 2 weeks ago and failing miserably on a few bits and bobs other than the windscreen :oops: :oops: i am now in possesion of a valid legit proper 12month MOT for the VSX :D :D :D

As of Saturday she will be legal and on the road although i now have a few major problems to sort out :twisted: :twisted:
The first has been sorted .My first introduction to Xantias and Citroens has now been sold and will be going tomorrow :( :( .Hopefully she will be well cared for and i reckon i will see her every now and then as the new owner lives 1/2 a mile from me........maybe toooooo close for comfort :lol: :lol:

On to the VSX :) :)

Not having driving her for on the road except for MOT test i now have discovered 1 major problem and 1 frustrating one :) :)

The major one is that i have a serious judder when i move off from stationary.At first i put this down to the car having sat for 3 years and me not having driven a petrol for 2 1/2 years but im now convinced that its not me :x :x
There is a grumble that i feel is possably coming from the o/s/f wheel as the car is being driven and the feel of the clutch snatching when you change gear but i dont think its the clutch :? :?
My reason for thinking this is that when i got home i felt the front wheels and the o/s was hotter than the n/s. I got SWMBO to drive the car forward slowly and i could see the o/s/f wheel judder how expensive is this going to be :twisted: :twisted:

The other problem is the rear suspension is very hard or so it seems not on normal roads but seems to be have a bit like a bucking bronco over large dips / humps etc.I can hear the valves shutting down about 30 secs after the doors have been shut etc but having had the problem of the rear bucking when going from high to normal is this likely to be the height corrector or something else :? :? The front valve gives a loud click when switching off but the rear is somewhat quieter :lol: :lol:
The rear is quite easy to push down as far as a normal test goes but makes the car feel like its going to nose dive as the back seems to stay high going over a speed bump or big dips/undulations on normal roads.This is without the car being put in "sport" mode

Cheers

Colin
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

Your description of the suspension behaviour doesn't seem to match anything I have experienced, but if it is only "hard" on large bumps, is it bottoming out due to lack of spring rate or damping? This would be caused by incorrect spheres.

You could try disconnecting the HA (pull the appropriate fuse) and drive the same stratch of road and see if it behaves the same on just the corner spheres.
admiral51
Donor 2023

Thanks xantia_v6

Think ive identified the judder the o/s/f brakes are binding on could well be a sticking piston but looks like i shall be doing disks/pads and giving both calipers a good clean/overhaul :) :)
The fronts and h/brake passed the first mot (car failed) and the second test with the noise being present so it doesnt seem to have affected the brake balance :? :)
The suspension is now behaving really strange :evil: :evil:
With engine running and suspension in normal position the following happens
Push down at the rear and it will only push down about 3 - 4 inches before it bounces/forces itself back up.
Push down at the front and the front literally drops 3 or 4 inches you dont even have to push it that far down a bit of pressure and it just drops.It will stay there for a fewseconds and then come backup to normal height and then it seems to go through a couple of cycles of doing the same thing all by itself :? :? :?

Will try and get a video of it and put a link up

If i remove the hydractive fuse (F8 in engine bay i think) do i need to have the ignition off to do this or have the battery disconnected seem to remember reading somewhere on here about this is was that for the removal of the hydractive ecu :oops: :? :)

Cheers

Colin
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Unread post by DickieG »

admiral51 wrote:The suspension is now behaving really strange :evil: :evil:
With engine running and suspension in normal position the following happens
Push down at the rear and it will only push down about 3 - 4 inches before it bounces/forces itself back up.
Push down at the front and the front literally drops 3 or 4 inches you dont even have to push it that far down a bit of pressure and it just drops.It will stay there for a fewseconds and then come backup to normal height and then it seems to go through a couple of cycles of doing the same thing all by itself :? :? :?
When you're pushing down at the front, by chance do the front wheels have a degree of lock/steering applied? If so then that would explain such behaviour which is due to the twist applied to the front anti-roll bar.

I'd tend to agree with Xantia V6 re sphere's, I'm more than likely popping down your way next weekend to visit the out-law's and could bring my sphere tester with me if you what to see what pressure is in your sphere's.

To pull the Hydractive fuse I'd just do it with the engine turned off, after all blowing a fuse is something that could happen at any time so the ECU can't surely be liable to damage is those circumstances. BTW next week I could also bring my Lexia along to see what's going on in the ECU.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
admiral51
Donor 2023

Thanks Richard
My timing is awful :lol: finally get the car on the road and just when you are down this way im off on holiday to Devon with the caravan from 8th to 18th :( :( :lol: :lol:

The offer would have been taken up like a shot kind sir :) :)

I have just pulled the hydractive fuse and the car behaves itself apart from the fact all 4 corners are rock solid cant push them down atall :lol: :lol:
When the fuse is replaced the car reverts to bucking bronco style so i reckon im looking at having to replace 4 corners and 2 centre hydractive ones.Already done the Acc so might as well do the anti-sink whilst im at it :lol: :lol:
Shouldnt be suprised really as the spheres are atleast 3+ years old.Then if i can find the diode link ill get them done aswell and see where that leaves me (apart from skint :) :) ........again :lol: :lol: )

Thanks for the help so far shout out if there is anything else i can check or may have overlooked

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Well had a good holiday down in Devon weather was good and the TD behaved herself even managing to get up Telegraph Hill in 3rd mind i did give her full throttle just before the old VOSA site :lol: :lol:
Clutch seems ok as well :D :D Oh bugger thats tempting fate :( :(

Was due to stay on till the 18th but cut short the holiday on 15th as i discovered i hadnt been paid :twisted: :evil: and SWMBO has just started a new job and doesnt get paid till mid September so spending money now is being used for bills :( .I should get paid in 2 weeks now that we are on monthly pay (nice to be asked about it :lol: ) but hey ho :) :)

Have also decided rather reluctantly that the caravan i spent best part of 2 summers getting watertight/bodywork sorted/fixing everything including taking the toile/shower out and resealing not to mention the complete rear rebuild and wallpapering is going to be put up for sale :( :(
Its not that we dont enjoy going away in it its just that apart from the last week in Devon weve spent 4 nights in it since last September :lol: :lol:
So if anyone is on the look out for one let me know :wink: :wink:
Its the same as This One but only sleeps 3 after my rebuilding efforts :lol: :lol:

Right back to things Citroen :) :)

Have not really had to much time to devote to the pair of Xantias but am pretty sure i have pinpointed the problem with the judder when pulling away with the VSX.Even when travelling a round trip of 1/2 mile and not needing to touch the brakes until i stop back at home the fronts are very warm where as the rears still have little patches of rust where it had been stood for a week.

When finances improve the rear spheres will be changed well 2 corners and the centre hydractive ( not going to condition my hair before i try that one :wink: ) so will hopefully have started the process of eliminations :D :D

Colin
Xantic

Unread post by Xantic »

Glad you had a good holiday Colin, that is until you found out about your new pay system. :x

Did you do the diode fix after or havn't you got around to it yet. If you need diodes i have plenty here can put some in the post for you if your stuck.

Russ..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
admiral51
Donor 2023

Hi Russ
Not really done anything yet :lol: :lol:

Think that the valves are working ok so going to replace the spheres first and go from there but may well give you a shout should i need some diodes/advice :D :D

Any luck on the job front yet :)

Colin
Xantic

Unread post by Xantic »

If you need diodes mate just give me a shout..No luck on the job front yet, I have been doing 1 run a week for the old boss with the hope it picks up..

It's funny, I went to France with the boss Tuesday just for the ride and to stock up on some supplies, Fingers crossed it will get busier.

As for the diodes i made up a box and used scotch connectors as i was not satisfied i had a good connection with my soldering, It seems to work better but there is still a problem there intermittent the best one to have.
I went to Maplins and couldnt get the diodes so bought some on the internet and ended up with 100.. So you can see i either have to buy a few more Citroens to use them up or give them away to those who need them..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear of the reason for cutting short the holiday Colin :( At least it was not Xantia related in any way and it looks like yours did sterling service :D

I know what you mean about the caravan :( We sold ours at the start of this season for the same reason. I'd advise not selling it right now though and if you can, wait until the spring and it's likely there'll be more demand and thus a better price will be got.

Looking forward to the next VSX instalment :) It would be good if you could find someone to pressure test the spheres before you sport out on new ones as that may save a bob or tow in no having to replace good ones.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG

Unread post by DickieG »

On the subject of testing your spheres Colin I'll be down your way again quite soon, when I know the dates I'll let you know.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
admiral51
Donor 2023

Hi Richard
Thanks for that kind Sir would be most welcome :D :D :D

You wouldnt by any chance have room for the Lexia aswell would you :) :) :wink: :wink:

Cheers

Colin
DickieG

Unread post by DickieG »

admiral51 wrote:You wouldnt by any chance have room for the Lexia aswell would you :) :) :wink:
Yes that'll be no problem.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
admiral51
Donor 2023

Apologies for the lack of progress on the VSX but certain family issues cropped up over the Bank Holiday weekend and all Xantia attention was put on hold :oops: :oops:

On a much happier note it goes to prove that if you spend the time and effort getting a car (Xantia) up to spec and keep on top of things then they really are not much trouble :) :)

My old 1.9D has just passed her MOT and has only got 1 advisory :) :)
1 tyre is close to legal limit :D :D :D

Not bad for a Xantia with 200k on the clock thats her 3rd MOT pass this one being the only one with an advisory :D :D :D :D

Why oh why did i sell her :roll: :roll:

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Well it finally looks as if the VSX is finally going to get a bit of TLC long overdue :oops: :oops: and very much needed

SWMBO is off visiting the outlaws over the half term week so i will have 1 VSX sat in the driveway not being used :D :D

Now that i seem to have managed to do some Quantative Easing :lol: :lol: i have a small list of jobs to do
2 rear corner spheres
2 handbrake cables
front discs and pads (have so far only managed to free them slightly :oops: )
cambelt+waterpump+aux belt (booked for the 27th
1 heater matrix [-o< [-o< 8-[

They are off early sat 24th and i have mon 26th and fri 30th off so fingers crossed i can put some pennies away between now and then and that the rain holds off :) :)
Did someone say the heater matrix is now a walk in the park job :lol: :lol:

Colin