ZX Brake question.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

N_CURTIS
My Cars:

ZX Brake question.

Post by N_CURTIS »

I understand the ZX's can either be fitted with Girling or Bendix brakes.

I know my car has Girling front calipers, so would it figure that it has a Girling setup (drums) at the rear.

According to a Citroen dealer using my chassis number it could be fitted with either, so how would I find out without taking it apart?

It has a Bendix master cylinder/reservoir.

Thanks in advance
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have never known of a car being fitted with different brakes front to back , so I think you can fairly safely assume the the rears are also girling - But theres always a first time :)
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Just take a rear wheel off. Have a look round the drum. If you cant see it take the drum off. It is printed on drum or backplate. Use some brake cleaning fluid with a basin below it. Release handbrake. Remove the small screws holding drum and spray it all with the fluid. This keeps down any airborne particles when you tap the drum with a mallet to release it. Use wheel chock and axle stand.

Citroen use so many variations that I`ve found this is the only way
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

To identify the rear brake set up on your ZX, all you need to do is look at the rear wheel cylinder mounting plates showing through the brake plate. One is oval, the other is round, either type denoting whether your brakes are Bendix or Girling. From memory, the Bendix one is round, but I could be wrong. To see which type, just look under the car, no need to take the wheels off.

As for stripping down the rear brakes, [u]there are no small screws[/u]! You have to take off the hub nut grease cap, unscrew the hub nut and pull off the drum along with the centre hub bearings. Before you do this it is worthwhile getting a new hub nut and the inner bearing seal, as neither are re-useable. It sometimes helps to release the self-adjusting system on the brake shoes. Do a search in the archive for details, as it has been posted here many times.

Hope this helps.

Handyman, IKBA
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As Handyman states - the hub nuts are staked and should be replaced - If they are fitted to the other side the chances are that a fresh part of the staking ring will be used.

I thought that it was the outer caps covering the stub axle that were thought to need replacing. When I attacked our ZX handbrake I started off with new ones (cheap enough) - but was able to remove the originals without damaging them.

If you have the Bendix system the adjuster will probably need replacing or a very careful overhaul. The cables will probably have siezed by now and the cylinders will be suspect too.

A good clean and paint of the backplate may help as well.
jeremy
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Sorry for misinformation Done full brakes on my ZX a while back............must be thinking of another car :roll: Mmmm too many projects :oops:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
N_CURTIS
My Cars:

Post by N_CURTIS »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Guessed it would be a Girling setup all round, but wanted to be sure for when I come to order parts......

It's true, you learn something new everyday.

Thanks again.