Water in foot well

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Water in foot well

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I have fond that the foam under the front passenger side carpet is soaking wet with water. It isnt coolant!!!
I have pumped sealant under the windscreen thinking that is the source of the leak, it hasnt rainded since then (unusual), do you think this will be the source or any other ideas??
Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Most likely that it is this.

Another possible cause is a leaky hose to the rear screen washer.

Does anything come out of the rear washer?

If not the pipe runs along the roof, above the door on the N/s, very fiddly to repair but doable.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Paul,

Well done on the dash by the way :D

I would almost certainly think it was the windscreen scuttle panel seal leaking. I guess you removed it to get the dash out.

The foam can hold an incerdible volume of water and a lot can accumulate under the rubber bulkhead membrane that is near impossible to remove. All this can continue to liberate water after the leak is fixed and make it difficult to decide if the leak is fixed or not.

Another possible cause is the heater plenum drain being blocked or dislodged which will then cause water that collects (and evaporator condensate) in the plenum to run under the carpet.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I have drilled holes in th floor to drain water out
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Thats a bit drastic isn't it?

I used to just leave the carpets in the sun.

How will you know if you solved the problem if it pours out?

And I don't think the foam will dry through drill bit size holes, it's like a 2" sponge that covers the entire floorpan.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi guys,
I just checked the carpets in the car and the rear passenger side carpet is now wet through too. The front one was wet first!!!,
Maybe it is me that hasnt sealed under the windscreen glass properly?? i dunnno...
Or
Could water be getting in through the vent opening for the cooling fan
Or
Could it be water from the aircon condensor?
The water has no taste, it is clean, and the coolant water isn't dropping at all, so not coolant.
Any ideas?
Paul.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

wrinklet1 wrote:I have drilled holes in th floor to drain water out
I used to that on my 105E Anglia back in the 60's! :lol:
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

wrinklet1 wrote:Hi guys,

The water has no taste

Paul.
You DRANK it? :shock:
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

My moneys on the air con drain pipe being snapped off when you manipulated the heater box to carry out the repair following the drilling boo boo allowing condensed water to drain into the footwell.

Check it by jacking up the front of the car then looking up to the bulkhead behind the gearbox where you will see a rubber drain pipe held in place by a metal ring secured by two Torx screws. Remove the screws, collar and the rubber drain pipe and if all is well you will find a grey plastic tube sticking out, if however the pipe comes off with the drain pipe you can repair it using a suitable plastic glue (Airfix model type).
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

CJ, nope didnt drink it, just tip of my tongue.
Dickie, I wondered that, BUT....... I think I may have found the problem, The black plastic trim that is supposed to be stuck to the windscreen isn't!!!!!, in fact, it is lifted away from it, so, it looks like the water is going down between the screen and the plastic, into the "fan box" and into the car under the carpet. I think...
Paul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's it then Paul, that scuttle panel is a shocker for that and once the front footwell is full, it'll soon find it's way to the rear ones through the gap in the crossmember.

On the bright side, we have the right weather for drying it out but the foam will take a good week to dry. The other good thing is rust is rarely a problem with wet footwells but do check all the electrical connectors that will have been damp down in the passenger footwell.

Hold the rubber membrane out of the way with a wooden block once you have the front carpet out so that air can circulate around it and dry it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Thanks for that.
I will pull the carpet up and stick the dehumidifier in the car ofr a couple of days.
I will also use silicone to stick the scuttle panel in place (only a small bead incase the heater matrix goes :roll: ).

Paul
martyorks
My Cars:

Post by martyorks »

I purchased my synergie a couple of weeks ago, and the smell was shocking, the foam under the carpet was soaking, so i took the seats out,and the carpet, and hosed the car down for 2 hours but no leaks, im assuming they valeted with a vast amount of water and shut the door and let it dry itself,
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Sealed the front scuttle panel (I hope) so now its time to get the
Passenger seat coming out today , carpets up, and foam underlay coming out to dry after i have rolled it up to get most of the water out.
I will put the dehumidifier in the car too I think, give it a dry with that too.

Paul