406 Buying

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gtijon

406 Buying

Post by gtijon »

I'm going to look at a 406 tonight. HDi 110 Estate.

Are there any common problems / big bill areas to examine? I've noticed a lot on forecourts have water in the bottom of the boot.

Ta.
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

Hiya mate...

The water in the boot usually comes from the seals around the back lights, so not too much to worry about there and easily rectified.

Check it's been regularly serviced including cam belt if it's done the miles or reached that age.

It's worth remembering that the 110 had a dual mass flywheel, which is worth replacing with the clutch. Clutches last about 100K depending on use. If the clutch hasn't been changed yet then you might be looking at a bill of £500 - £700 if it goes when you own it.

HDi means it's a D9 (phase 2), some will tell you they're not as well built as the D8 but I don't have any problems with the build quality on the D9 and IMO they're much much better looking, however the electrics on the D9 are much more complex than the D8 and being French they can be a little flaky.

If there's anything dodgy going on with the lights / wipers / central locking etc (any non-engine electrics) walk away as this probably points to BSI failure which can be expensive.

The only other thing that springs to mind is we've had a recent spate of air con condenser failures at about 7 years old, the bottom edge sits on a tray where crap tends to gather and rot it, figure on about £300 to replace.

It'd probably be worth asking the same question over here, there's not much they don't know about 406s :wink:
406 2.0 HPi Exec Estate

http://www.406oc.co.uk
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The electric fuel lift pumps under the rear seats can fail anytime.Not a big or expensive job,diy,but some say they can break up internally & bugger up the high pressure pump.
I`ve had mine for 18 mths/30k miles,had a few small isuses with sensors & electrics,but its the best car i`ve had.Had it remapped to 140bhp too,& still do an easy 46 mpg day to day,over 52 mpg on longer trips.
As you said you`ve seen loads on forecourts,so be choosey & buy the best 1 you find. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
gtijon

Post by gtijon »

Only issue was that the clutch seemed a bit high. I've seen that the clutch is £140 from GSF, and a new DM flywheel is £160, so I suppose the rest is labour and VAT? I'd be inclined to DIY it - is it a real pain?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I know for a fact that the gear box has to come out for the clutch.Mine is oringinal at 86k,although the biting point is getting higher.
It seems to have coped well with a lot of caravan towing & the fact its had 140bhp & 220 lbft since i got it at 56k.It was my Dads company car from new & he is a keen caravaner as well as me.
A lot of people knock the Hdi for its electronics,but mines been 90% ok.I think only the 110 hdi`s had the d mass fly wheel.The 90 hdi`s dont.But the extra poke of the 110 is worth it.Before my 406,my Dad had a 90 hdi,which seemed slow in comparisan. :)
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

If you're changing the clutch there's a conversion kit that comes with the clutch and a solid flywheel, which I'd be inclined to use.

Does the 406 definitely have a DMF? I believe my Xantia doesn't.

I haven't had a close look at a 406 HDi but I'd expect the clutch to be as much of a pain as that kind of job is on any modern car. If you think you can do it you probably can.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

reblack68 wrote: Does the 406 definitely have a DMF? I believe my Xantia doesn't.
I know that mine has.I think they are fitted to later 406`s with the 110 Hdi.I dont think Xantia Hdi`s or 406 Hdi 90`s have them.
I know of a surveyer at work who had an identical car to mine on a 03/03 that had 2 DMF`s fitted in the 1st 3 yrs.Although the car was sold at 3 yrs old with over 200k miles on it!!
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

The HDI 110s do have a DMF, the HDI 90s don't.
406 2.0 HPi Exec Estate

http://www.406oc.co.uk
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

deleted