Confusing terminology

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Confusing terminology

Post by MikeT »

Obviously we laymen can get a little muddled when it comes to parts naming conventions. I'm trying to locate the part number for the sphere that's responsible for the ticking sound. From this forum I have learnt it is generally called the accumulator sphere though Citroen seem to call it something else and that's where I'm having difficulty.

Using service.citroen.com and my VIN number, I have located a diagram that shows all spheres - the one's I am unsure of are labelled (front to back) thus....

1. Anti-roll regulation device (no documents found) - Activa anti-roll I presume?
2. Regulator sphere, which when clicked on is called Rigidity Regulator sphere - I presume this is the switchable Hard/Soft option for Hydractive (which I don't have)?
3. Circuit breaker which when exploded is called Hydraulic Circuit Breaker - I have no idea what this might be
4. Source, reserve of pressure - no document found

So regarding each of the four choices these are my deductions/guesses....

1 & 4 = no documents found tells me it's probably not fitted?
2 = shows a total of three spheres with differing capacities and/or pressures so I doubt it's one of those.
3 = shows two spheres but only one part number so my best guess I want this one?

Can anyone help unmuddle this for me? Do I need a Circuit Breaker sphere? At £93.32 I think I'll go to GSF anyway but I still want to understand Citroen's diagrams.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Click on the page titled Hydraulic Circuit Breaker and you will get a picture of the sphere attached to the regulator. Citroen just call it 'sphere':

95666763 SPHERE + GASKET 79.42 GBP 93.32 GBP

Holy cow :shock: Nearly a ton for a sphere :twisted:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Mike,

Indeed it is confusing...

1. Yes, an Activa component..
2. Yes, Hydractive Centre Sphere.
3. Pressure Regulator.
4. A general term to describe the Pressure Regulator and Accumulator Sphere assembly as a whole.

Hope that helps unmuddle things a bit.

What they call a Circuit Breaker Sphere is an Accumulator Sphere to you and I. Go to GSF for that!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Richard,

How do we do it? That's the second time today we have been typing a reply at the same time!!!

Honestly, it's not deliberate :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thank you gentlemen. By my Sherlock Holmes' powers of deduction I suspected it would be the circuit breaker 8) and yes, their prices are often shocking so I won't be buying from them.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

gsf call it an accumulator sphere and they are £19.50 + vat, delivered next day too!
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Check the date stamp on anything from GSF.

Usually they are good but last time I went to them for a sphere they got me a second hand one with no date stamp and loadsa rust.

I don't use them any more if I can help it because of things like this.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

My suggestion would be:

"4. Source, reserve of pressure " because that's exactly what it is.

It's place in the system is as a reserve so that you have a reserve of LHM pressure in case you have a catastrophic failure in a supply line so that you have enough hydraulic pressure in the system to allow you to stop which is why it's referred to as a "Brake accumulator" as in an accumulation of pressure for the brake circuit.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

That makes perfect sense Alan. The only reason I disregarded it was the lack of further documentation which I took to mean it wasn't fitted to this specific vehicle.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The problem with a brake accumulator sphere is that it is common almost throughout the hydraulic Citroen range.
If you check any accumulator sphere back to at least the CX you'll find it is a case of same part no. same volume, same pressure same everything and as it has no damping, as in suspension spheres, there is possibly nothing to have documentation about.
Just a thought.
Don't know what a genuine one might set you back, but I was quoted by a parts supplier the other day at $149.50 and I had bought suspension spheres off one of his opposition a few months back at $80 + GST - 10% and as Citroen suspension spheres can be charged out at up to $250 each out here, with that price difference, I reckon I can live without "genuine" prices or parts.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!