Curious Question-Grease

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Curious Question-Grease

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,
Does grease have a shelf life? I ask that because I have been using copper grease for several years and its 18 years old.Does it still hold all its properties after all this time.I know some you would probably say...go buy some fresh grease...but I still have a lot of this stuff left to last ages and hope its still effective.
I'm just curious to the longevity of the stuff in various guises.

regards Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It lives a very long time Steve,

Normal Lithium-based greases (like Castrol LM) will eventually start to go hard and waxy after the more volatile parts evaporate by this takes donkeys years in a sealed container.

If the copper grease is still slippy enough to be applied with a stiff paint brush, it'll be fine. After all, you are only using it for it's anti-seize properties and this will not be largely affected with age.

If it's gone really hard and waxy, it might not be so good, simply as it's hard to spread.

My pot of copper grease is a good 10 years old now, always open with a paint brush sticking in it and it remains good.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

O.k Jim thanks for the reply.
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'