Xantia estate wet rear passenger footwell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

Xantia estate wet rear passenger footwell

Post by Bren »

The N/S rear passenger footwell on my car was saturated - the car was parked with the O/S wheels on the kerb before I noticed it. Does anybody have any ideas?
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

EDIT:
OOps. didn't read rear - please ignore.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sounds like the rear tailgate membrain is leaking.The water will run down under the rear seats & footwells.Do a search on here for plenty of info on fixing.I had this on mine & did a post about fixing :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Bren,

I'd firstly have a look at the membrane in the tailgate. Remove the carpet-like trim on the inside of the tailgate. Open the light access doors and disconnect the ribbon cable running across the trim that connects the two light clusters together. Then undo the numerous torx screws, not forgetting the two in the grab handle and pull the trim off.

You will now see a thick plastic membrane. This will be held to the tailgate frame with mastic that harden with age and the membrabe detatches from the frame. I'll wager you'll find it detatched along the bottom edge.

Reseal it with new mastic, taking care to ensure it is well bonded along the bottom edge.

If not that, check the plastic drain channels around the rear door shuts are intact and not full of moss and dirt.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello bren, this ones easy i eventually sussed it after much painstaking searching and found that the rear boot hatch is designed so that the rainwater runs down behind the rear screen seal through the back hatch or boot door and drains out of the bottom of the door over the rear bumper. when th e rear door membrane breaks the water runs through the boot door into the floor and runs down the boot filling up the rear footwells with water, you might like to try this solution, check under your rear seats there will probably be some standing puddles there to.
I tried and tried to reseal the plastic sheet atached to the rear door and it just didn't work, so I bought a tube of black panel glue the stuff the body shops use to glue new car panels on with, it cost me about a tenner and I only wanted a small bead of it. first of all clean the rear outer glass & seal with plenty of meths.
With the nossel cut as small as possiable I ran a very small bead along the top of the lower part of the rear screen seal it is almost invisible you just can't see it there and low and behold the leak stopped for good. the goo does take a while to set though and its about the most sticky substance you will ever find and nothing cleans it off your hands so wear some gloves if you can. it has even stood the test of time and several hundred garage car washes.

if everything else fails try this one it really works and its permenant well at least until you break your rear screen anyway but that could be years away or never.

Regards nigel.
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Hi Bren

Hope you can fix this one - caused me grief for ages until I did a search on this forum and followed Citrojim's mastic advice. He has written a page all about this - there is probably a way of linking to my message but I don't know how to do it. I bouught the mastic from a caravan accessory shop and made sure I cleaned up the area before applying. I know there is another tip for you to try but I can vouch for the mastic!

Its not a difficult job - just needs a bit of patience and a sunny morning.

Nigel
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NAM wrote:Hi Bren

Hope you can fix this one - caused me grief for ages until I did a search on this forum and followed Citrojim's mastic advice. He has written a page all about this - there is probably a way of linking to my message but I don't know how to do it.
Here's the link to the thread.

To do that, use the URL tags by following the guide posted my Myglaren in the sticky topics at the top of the Citroen forum.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...