Xantia Fascia Fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

surfer
My Cars:

Xantia Fascia Fan

Post by surfer »

Hi,
I read somewhere on this site an old posting, which I can no longer find, regarding a very small fan, found in the fascia which can become noisy with time.
I suspect mine needs some oil; can anybody remind me where it is and how it can be reached? Preferably without stripping out the entire dash??
Also, max suspension height is very handy at the Jet wash when the arches are full of mud, road salt etc...
(only second week of ownership ~ novelty suspension still amuses!)
Thanks,
simon.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Its located behind the alarm led on the dash next to the clock, I find it best to yank the clock out so the alarm led grill clips can be pressed in, watch out though that clock can put up a struggle.
If you try and pull the little grill out without pressing the clips you can end up busting it.
Dave
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Thanks Dave,
I will take the utmost care with it.
Best regards,
Simon.
lozian
My Cars:

Post by lozian »

Hi Simon,
Take the utmost care when splitting the small fan motor. I,ve been told £80 for a new one !!!. It's a motor which works transferring the rotation via a rotary magnet like some fluid pumps, only very small. The wiring runs the length of the fan body, with associated parts, and you have to be careful you dont mess up the wiring etc. Well worth the effort to give it a clean up and a small drop of lubricant to keep it quiet. Mine was full of fluff etc. and has been running silent since I did the operation some months ago. Check that the fan is running after reassembly on the bench and when you put it back in by listening at the fascia. Fan is 12 volts. Have fun.
Lozian.
Edited by - lozian on 29 Jan 2003 06:14:28
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Lozian,
I wouldn't call it fun exactly, but I am setting about the job tomorrow, so I will let you know next week if I was successful, or just left with a lot of broken bits and stripped wires.
Thanks,
Simon.
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

Ah ha! So thats whats making the noise. I was going to post a query. What is the purpose of the fan anyway?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It draws cabin air through the grill and over a sensor for the auto temperature controll.
Dave