Glowplug life?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Glowplug life?

Post by XantiaMan »

Just wondering what is a decent lifespan for O.E spec glowplugs? Mileage and age!

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Only anecdotal I'm afraid but as far as I am aware, my Xantia still had it's original glow plugs at 6 years and 170,000 ~ish.
The C5 is still on the originals, again 6 years now and 120,000.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I changed the previous ones at 118K though some were still working, and on the present one, as you've probably realised all four were dead @ 116K. I did find a locknut (nylon top thread) on the third plug and don't think it had been tightened sufficiently which might have contributed to the failures? I noticed one manufacturer gives a 12 month guarantee

Champion cannot answer this either...
http://www.southern-exhausts.co.uk/Champion.htm
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Some can last forever & some can go after a few months. That is my experience. There seems to be no hard and fast rule as regards longevity- a bit like us humans
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Mine are 3 yrs old and very strong. (Bosch ones)
Shame the engine isn't, it be very dead now.
Last edited by elma on 17 Apr 2008, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

It can be worth removing them for a check. Just because they meter OK doesn't mean they are good as new. Also looking at the carbon build up can give some insight into injector health. A badly sooted one could be a sign of a partially blocked injector.

As some members have stated some can last years (Beru), others (cheap aftermarket crap) weeks.

Steve.
not applicable
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

The reason i ask, i have a receipt for glowplugs from 2002, i dont know the make of them but they were supplied by a Citroen main dealer, they will have done 120k now. My car still starts fine but hunts for a couple seconds from cold but im pretty confident its a glow plug or two thats duff, i've checked everything for air leaks, replaced leak offs, checked the filter housing and all is fine.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

If your car starts fine - you can rule out glow plugs. Have you checked the fuel filter, or your hoses (fuel line) seems like air in the fuel system, check first around the filter housing, any sign of fuel leaks. Prime the bulb om the fuel line till it gets solid, and see how it behaves then , when you statr it.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

If you're unsure how about rigging up a bulb or LED that draws power straight from the glowplug 'rail' that you can watch (fastened to the scuttle). With an inline fuse it would be safe enough and you should be able to tell if the plugs are being energised after starting or not.

Steve.
not applicable
elma

Post by elma »

XantiaMan583 wrote: My car still starts fine but hunts for a couple seconds from cold
Considering you use veg oil hunting for a couple of seconds is actually very good.

Try diesel only, bet it goes away and theres no air leak.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

elma wrote:
XantiaMan583 wrote: My car still starts fine but hunts for a couple seconds from cold
Considering you use veg oil hunting for a couple of seconds is actually very good.

Nope its still the same on pure diesel, ran a tankfull just to try.

My feeling is that a couple have gone and even though it starts well (its always been excellent from cold) it doesnt fire properly on 1 or 2 cylinders until there's a bit of heat. We shall see when i get a chance to test them!

Priming the bulb till its hard has zero effect, and the fuel line from filter to pump has no bubbles in it at all, i replaced the original leak off's but that made no difference. Apart from the glowplugs which are unknown i can think of nothing else. It's definatly not running on 1 cylinder from cold, rather than being lumpy and uneven like you get when on high % of veg.

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Injector spray pattern can have an effect on glow plug life. Funny how the Ngks aint rated highly . On Jap trucks etc they are standard fitment and perform well. Maybe it`s a French thing . I might try Ngks with loads of Garlic on them :lol:

Alex
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Mike-T,

Bosch Plugs Mike around eight years before failure.

regards nigel.
elma

Post by elma »

XantiaMan583 wrote:
elma wrote:

Nope its still the same on pure diesel, ran a tankfull just to try.

My feeling is that a couple have gone and even though it starts well (its always been excellent from cold) it doesnt fire properly on 1 or 2 cylinders until there's a bit of heat. We shall see when i get a chance to test them!

Priming the bulb till its hard has zero effect, and the fuel line from filter to pump has no bubbles in it at all, i replaced the original leak off's but that made no difference. Apart from the glowplugs which are unknown i can think of nothing else. It's definatly not running on 1 cylinder from cold, rather than being lumpy and uneven like you get when on high % of veg.

Gareth
Sounds like glow plugs or injectors then,
you havent got any diesel weeping from any injectors have you?
Have you changed the fuel filter recently too?
Sometimes on veg they last well, sometimes they don't.

If you can get hold of the plastic cartridge type instead of the paper funnel ones they work a lot better. Delphi do them, but very hard to get hold of now.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

elma wrote: Sounds like glow plugs or injectors then,
you havent got any diesel weeping from any injectors have you?
Have you changed the fuel filter recently too?
Sometimes on veg they last well, sometimes they don't.

If you can get hold of the plastic cartridge type instead of the paper funnel ones they work a lot better. Delphi do them, but very hard to get hold of now.
Nope no weeping at all. Fuel filter was changed recently as it was overdue (15k) but only had normal amounts of dirt. I find when a filter is first changed the car is very flat until its fully soaked with diesel/veg and self-bled, a fast run does this a treat and within 5 miles it was back to its perky self. No change though!

When i ran diesel through it last week i did put some injector cleaner through the system, apart from an intermittant flash of the EML thats the only difference i saw and its been running great otherwise, with 45mpg still!

It's something i'm going to live with for now, when the weather does get truly warmer (over 15 C) it should improve as the need for glowplugs lessens.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7