really strange problem. Cant get over 70mph. Xantia 1.9 td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ricflair

really strange problem. Cant get over 70mph. Xantia 1.9 td

Post by ricflair »

Hi all, driving home last night my car wouldnt get over 70mph. Same on way into work today. Any ideas, its been fine before that and usually can get upto 100mph with no effort.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You've either popped one of the turbo hoses off, or the little hose that runs from the trunking to the injection pump has split.

Well, either that or the engine's buggered - but my money's on the piping :lol:
Richard W
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

Thanks, im pretty much useless when it comes to cars. Thhis ones on its way out, and im hoping to get a new car in the next week or 2 at the latest. Would this be something easy to check myself?
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

can ayone advise me on what to look for please

thanks
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Refer to diagram here...

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21018

Check the small rubber hose at 2E, 3E, 4E & 5E
It porvides the signal from the turbo pressure to increase the fuelling.

Follow the pipework from 1B through every hose, pipe and connector until you eventually arrive at 2F. it connects at the back of the engine to the turbo and feeds the pressure into the intercooler (where the radiator is) and then into the engine.

I'm sure others will come up with more things to check.
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

thanks,

had a quick look but couldnt see any split pipes. Will have a propper look tomorrow. Struggled to get over 60 today on my way home from work on th emotorway. Sometimes it feels like its really struggling and evry now and again you feel a slight jump.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Richard check were the two large diamiter intercooler pipes conect each side of the radiator, as i have found these to be of or loose on my customers cars

or when did it have a new cam belt last, has there been any strange nouises, like maybe tentioner rattling, or have you been runningthe car on chip fat
regards malcolm
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Try changing the diesel fuel filter...

Good luck.
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

It's surprising just how much a diesel can smoke (white) with a blocked fuel filter.

Steve.
not applicable
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Air in the fuel system can really affect performance, especially top end revs. Has anything been changed recently i.e a service?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

nothings been changed, one night it was fine, next day it was struggling.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

It is possiable that your jets are blocked, empty the fuel filter chamber firstly by removing the filter and replace filter and fill up the chamber with neat injector cleaner, replace the cap and run the engine if possiable take the car for a run straight away the neat mix will blow your jets clean very quickly. the only other posibility in my mind is that a worn timing belt has possiably sliped one notch, which can have a similar effect and would be hardly noticeable when driving at slower speeds.

regards Nigel.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

My old BX 1.7 diesel did this and blew lots of white smoke at the time , it turned out that someone had dropped a rubber hose into the tank at some point and it broke down in the fuel and the engine was burnning liquidfied rubber hose.

regards Nigel.
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

thanks for the suggestions. Im going to scrap the car when i find a new one this week.

Anyway, the car is now at the point where somtimes its fine for a while, a few miles mabey. And then all of a sudden you cant get over 40!. Struggles getting up a section of motorway thats uphill aswell.

Sounds to my ears(i know f all about cars) like its not gettng enough revs, and every now and again you feel a judder, the kind you feel if you are cruising and suddenly take your foot of the accelerator quickly, if that makes sense to any of you.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

What area are you in ric?

I might be interested in taking it off your hands if its going for scrap.

Send me a pm if you will please.