Condensation - headlamp(s)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveW
My Cars:

Condensation - headlamp(s)

Post by DaveW »

Hi all,

I've noticed that there is quite severe condensation on the inner surface of the glass of the near side headlamp.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and if so, how did you cure it?

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've never seen it on either of my MK1s Dave although once a little on my MK2 during a period of disuse and exceptional weather.

Check the rear cover is tightly and properly in place and inspect the glass for a tiny crack.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Thanks, Jim.

I can't see any cracks with the unit in situ so I will pull it out and give it a careful inspection.

Dave.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It could also be the mastic seal breaking down where the glass bonds to the plastic reflector housing Dave.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Found the problem.

One of the two lower clips that hold the glass in place has gone AWOL. The headlamp body can be flexed sufficiently to allow moisture in between the glass and the seal.

Thanks for the responses.

Dave.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Is it that cheap and easy to fix the same problem with double glazing windows :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

mezuk04 wrote:Is it that cheap and easy to fix the same problem with double glazing windows :(
No, is the short answer.

I work for a company that manufactures double glazing units and if there were a simple cheap way of fixing those units that were breached I am dead certain they they would employ it.

WB

As it is they scrap them and fit a new unit.

That said, they are not difficult to get out of the frame. Pop the beading with w flat scraper and stanley knife, measure the unit and get a local company to produce a new one for you.

Try and get it direct as fitters will charge a premium four sourcing and fitting, or get someone at the factory to do it as a 'guvvy' job.

I won't be at work for another month or so so won't be able to give you any indications of pricing - not something I am involved in but one of the lads at work made and fitted a non opening window for my daughter, approximately 70x50cm for £50. It went through the books as a legit job.
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Just a quick update.

I phoned a couple of Citroen dealers in an attempt to buy some clips (phoned GSF first - no go) but was told the clips are only supplied with the replacement lens kit and not separately. Out of interest, I enquired the price of the kit - £69 + VAT !!!!! --- for a piece of glass and a handful of clips ----wow!

I fabricated a couple of clips from some spring steel I had lying around, cleaned and de-greased the perimeter of the lens and applied a thin bead of silicone sealant from a part used tube.
Total cost - my time (about 3/4 of an hour).

Dave
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I did my Volvo headlights with just clear silicon, lasted until I scrapped the car a few years alter.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

If you do use silicon but want to be able to take apart the siliconed thing without cutting through the seal then appply washing up liquid to 1 surface first.
The silicon will not stick to the surface wih the wash up liquid so you get a good seal which still allows you to take apart the component easily.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Funny this Xantia headlights problem -

On the BX there is no sealing cap at the lamp socket on the rear of the headlights housing. There is an opening for free air exchange.
I've never ever seen condensation on BX headlamps. I believe its because there is a chance for the heated up humid air to escape, and then the surrounding air is drawn in whenever the headlamp cools down.

That way the temp & humidity both sides the front glass of the headlamp remains the same - when there is no light to heat up the lamp.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image