Does anybody Know why please?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Does anybody Know why please?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Does anybody know why we cannot drive our Xantias in the US please? it has always intriged me as to why there is a warnning above the headlamps under the bonnet of my Xantia saying "this vechicle is not suitable for use in the USA" has it got something to do with the americans hating the French or something else?

It's just one of those irritation questions that has bothered me since I bought the car 5 years ago.

Thanks in advance Regards Nigel.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

It shouldnt bother you unless you intend to export your car to the US. It wont comply with emissions and safety regs, they also don't like car with self levelling suspension. Funny old lot, then again plenty of people like that here too.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is due to a now defunct regulation that stated the bumpers had to be at a defined height above road level.

Vehicles with hydropneumatic suspension could not conform as they (then) sank when the engine wasn't powering the pump. Although this was only when the car was not in use, the PWB wouldn't accept an exemption.

The irony was that Hydraulic Citroens were the only cars that could maintain the bumper height when in use, regardless of load.

As a result of the American's intransigence in amending the regulations Citroen withdrew form the market. More trouble than it was worth.

Then the regulation was dropped as the SUV/4X4 mob couldn't comply and it was costing the industry money.

It is always about money, in the end.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

xantiaman583,

My purpose in this world is to question the reason why.
if more ppl did this then we would'nt be living in such a rip off country.

Steve, Thank You that explains it then Much appreciated.

regards Nigel.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:My purpose in this world is to question the reason why.
if more ppl did this then we would'nt be living in such a rip off country..
Make it :
.. then we would'nt be living in such a rip off world ..
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The C5 has that warning too, and it self-levels even when it is parked. Was it just habit to write that on the cars by then?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they did an SM for the yanky market, and that has self leveling susp
regards malcolm
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think the rule came in at the same time as the rubber bumpered MGs so it would have been just after the SM's time.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:they did an SM for the yanky market, and that has self leveling susp
regards malcolm
They had to change the headlamps to regulation Yank ones though. Really spoilt the look of the front of the XM :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
juraj

Post by juraj »

not only did the us headlamps spoil the XM but so the DS, i think the problem was havinga it of perspez in front of thelights hence the DS and XM couldnt have the prspex screen and they looked really bad, funny tho im sure headlight protectors are ok in the US - but maybe not then
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the SM and DS had glass in front of there head lamps, i agree they look ugly with it removed
regards malcolm
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

US has a lot of stupid regulations because the country has a lot of stupid people that sue everybody for the most stupid reasons and stupid judges that hear this lawsuits.

So to prevent a lawsuit that can cost lots of money to the government, they use smallest details, blow them out of proportion and voila! Citroen is out of the US market. And the irony here is that Citroens with hydraulics and all their goodies are safer that the cheap US cars.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

You can import a Xantia into america.
I've looked into it as I may end up working there in a few years or so.
falling-out-with-my-car

elma, perhaps you had better read the black plastic panel under your bonnet above the headlamps, it says you can't use your Xantia in the USA./....lol.

Regards Nigel.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

yes I have.

When it was made it was not allowed in the states

Rules are different now and you can import one.
Look at all the cars they have now on hydraulic or air suspension.

You do have to pay a lot for the compliance test but under current regs it will pass so long as its in good nick.

http://www.citroen-ca.com/faq.html#anchor56703

If its 25yrs or older then can import w/o tests. So a Gs/DS/Cx is easier

Definately allowed though, like I said I've researched it thouroughly in case I work there.