Removing the battery

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Removing the battery

Post by MikeT »

I want to remove the battery to see if it'll hold a good charge but am concerned about what effects this may have. I don't (currently) have the radio code and what about the alarm/immobiliser, remote, keys, locks, ECU memory etc? Are any of those likely to require resetting and how is it done? The handbook details resetting the key fob but little else.

I'm familiar with a MK1 but there are some subtle differences with this Mk2 that I'd like to be aware of first.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As far as I can recall with mine Mike, it fairly looks after itself. The alarm might go off but the plip will reset it with no problem. Otherwise the old trick of holding down the ultrasonic defeat button will reset the alarm as you switch on the ignition.

A good power-off is good for the Engine ECU :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Same as the Mk1 then. :) I'm just a little cautious as there's no keypad and the manual refers to a chip in the key that may need reprogramming. When a car won't start, I will invariably consider the immobiliser a suspect. With the MK1 you had a red and a green light to know for sure, is there any similar indicator with the MK2?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The only indication you have on a MK2 that the immobiliser has de-set is by the lamp going out on the dash.

If you look to the left of the open door warning light in tacho, you'll see a an orange light with a key symbol in an sideways "U" light up briefly as the ignition is turned on. If this light stays on, the immobiliser has not de-set.

Disconnecting the battery will not require the key chip to be reprogrammed. It works like an RFID tag and it's a once only programming job. In my experience, the central locking/alarm plip does not need anything doing when the battery is reconnected. Believe me Mike, you're quite safe disconnecting the battery..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Right, battery's off the car and on charge. It looks a bit too small and underpowered (60Ah) but it holds a good enough charge, at least over two days so far.

So, how am I supposed to lock the boot now?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

A bit late now, but you could have connected a spare battery (even a pretty useless one) in parallel before removing the original, just to retain the codes, etc.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Oh yes, I forgot about that trick. I've read that even a PP3 9V will work, how true that is, I don't know. In my case, I wanted to disconnect power while working in the engine bay anyway.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: So, how am I supposed to lock the boot now?
That's a good point :P MK2s don't have a key operated lock!

lock the car with the battery on but with the bonnet up, and the disconnect the battery...
Jim