C5 Electrical Gremlins

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reblack68
My Cars:

C5 Electrical Gremlins

Post by reblack68 »

Our C5 Estate, 2002 HDi 110 LX model, has developed several electrical problems that might be related.

Soon after we got the car the tailgate glass started opening randomly. I cured this by unplugging the solenoid, which remains unplugged to this day.

The next thing to go wrong was the rear wash/wipe. It stopped working for several months, then started working again for no good reason. A few months after that it stopped working again, then fixed itself again. At the moment it is working.

A couple of weeks ago the STOP light came on at the end of our street. This was because the suspension height couldn't be changed automatically or manually. If you set it on high it didn't move until the ignition was switched off (this was at rest, I know the ride height can't be changed above certain speeds. Both the height correction and the height switch in the boot work fine with the ignition off.

The final gremlin, for now, is the high level brake light. It's on dimly all the time. The brake lights seem to work all right.

As I'm typing this it's all starting to look like an earthing problem but I'm not sure where to look.

Anybody got any ideas?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've fixed the brake light problem. It turned out that neither side brake light was working :oops: and bad earth/connections were to blame. As soon as I cleaned up the driver's side plug the centre one started to work correctly. I still can't quite get why a bad connection in the brake lights would cause the centre one to stay on, but it did.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.