Torn between two Xsara Picassos

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

geordiepaul2005

Torn between two Xsara Picassos

Post by geordiepaul2005 »

Hey guys,

I will soon be buying my first Citroen Xsara Picasso and cannot decide between the following 3.

2002 - 2 litre hdi exclusive with 65k on the clock - £4300

2004 - 1.6 litre petrol exclusive with 17k on the clock - £5500

2005 - 1.8 litre petrol exclusive with 21k on the clock - £4000 as category d damage and repair.

I am more tempted towards the diesel as it is priced more in my range however I am slightly worried about the higher mileage.

How long do these engines last?, what are the service intervals and moajor work intervals such as timing belts.

All opinions welcome.

Paul
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The diesels are very economical but the HDI is not a DIY engine, so if you do have problems it could be expensive. They are not as durable as the XUD engine either. Being an ardent diesel enthusiast I hesitate to reccommend anything other than a diesel but unless you do a fairly high mileage, in which case the economy could offset any possible problems, I would consider the petrol version.

I would have no hesitation in reccommending the XUD engines in older vehicles, especially the 2.1, but I don't think that I would have an HDI.

Just my opinion you understand.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

HDi cambelt is 10 years / 100k. The engines can be long lived - the bottom end is the same as the old XUD - but they can suffer electrical maladies that can effectively write the engine off. They do NOT like being misfuelled or driven gently!!

The 1.6 petrol will be gutless if you intend to lug some gear, and the 1.8 thirsty if worked hard. Depends how many miles / year you're going to do, and whether you can live with sub 30 mpg....

The HDi comes in two power outputs - 90 and 110. The higher output is preferred, as the 90 is a bit underpowered really, and the 110 gives more horses, whilst using less diesel 8)
Richard W
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I think the Picasso 2.0 HDi was only ever available as 90 bhp. To get 110 you would have to go for the later 1.6 HDi.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

diesel milage

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I know of a local citroen XM that was a taxi and the driver changed the oil every 3 thousand miles its current milage is around six hundred thousand miles, thats why I always change my oil at 3 thoiusand miles, citroens service shedule is a load of crap ignore it completely if you want your engine to last but 65 K is nothing to worry about the diesel is barely run in, even if you change the oil every 5 thousand miles she should give you 500 thousand miles use from the engine, there are other auxillary items like the petrols also have which will probably fail long before then alternator £100 ish no hydraulic suspension to worry about its all on springs, and they usually have a great long anti corrosion warrenty, mine was eight years. given the choice id go for the diesel but then again I don't like working on my engine so i am probably a bit biased.
the HDi means you wont have to wait for the light to go out you just put in the key and turn it and she fires, you won't be able to put veggie oil in an HDi the injectors dont like it they are to small it will damage the engine.
if you want to consider resale value buy the diesel but only if she's got a turbo otherwise it will be costly to run and underpowered.

Regards Nigel.
geordiepaul2005

Thanks for the replies folks.

I have just been to view the 1.8 litre petrol and its the best kept of the lot.
The category D damage amounts to a missing plastic wheel arch cover which was not repaired by the insurance company as motibility didnt want to pay for a courtesy car.

I started the day set on the diesel and at the moment I am set on the 1.8 petrol due t its overall cleanliness.

I will be doing 8 - 11 thousand miles a year and I drive fairly sensibly (not flooring it). I curently drive a laguna 3 litre v6 and get 24 mpg.
I am hoping to get around the 35 - 40 mpg mark to ease my monthly costs.

Would that change peoples opinions?

Paul
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

geordiepaul2005 wrote:I am hoping to get around the 35 - 40 mpg mark to ease my monthly costs.
You'll be very lucky to get out of a 1.8 Picasso unless you are exclusively doing long runs, it'll be more like 30 ish, whereas the HDi will comfortably do 40+ whatever the circumstances.

Decisions decisions :?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you do go for the diesel, I would go along with Nigel regarding oil changes. I change mine every 5,000 and not with expensive oil!, My last XM estate had covered nearly 300,000 miles when I sold it and was still going strong. HDI engines have been known to cover these sort of mileages, but a trouble free 300k is much less likely with an HDI. Mechanically they are fine, apart from the dual mass flywheel, its the electronics and the fuel injection that can give trouble.
N_CURTIS
My Cars:

Post by N_CURTIS »

I would tend to go for a car with a lower number of owners, good, if not full service history (can always negotiate on price if it's due a major service/cambelt etc.) and not worry about mileage so much.

In the past I've bought some cracking cars that have been about the 90/100k mile mark, but with one or two owners and good/full histories. You end up paying less as I feel some people still feel a car is suddenly going to expire when it gets to 100k!

As we know, this is not the case these days :wink:

Any car needs regular oil changes as the minimum of maintenance. Oil is cheaper than engines as my ex-mechanic dad says.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

The 90 HP HDi is the one to go for for several reasons...

1) No dual mass flywheel!

2) Engine is basic level standard HDi and very reliable mechanically - probably eventually even more so then the XUD due to far less oil pollution from the much more sophisticated injection system

3) B3 gearbox which is bulletproof with no cables (I think this applies to the Piccasso)

4) Repaired EMUnits are now availble at reasonable cost. Best to change the fuel filter complete rather than the insert to avoid ingress of crap.

Fuel economy of my HDi 90 xant est is excellent >50mpg
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
geordiepaul2005

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Still discussing with the missus which one to get.
The mileage and age seem to be the only two issues we are encountering at the moment.
I can't believe were both as indecisive as each other.
geordiepaul2005

Hey folks,

I still haven't managed to view the Diesel Picasso after being repeatedly messed round by the dealer.
I have decided to go ahead and buy the 1.8 litre petrol version and was wondering how costly or easy the slight damage will be to repair.

The plastic wheel arch which runs above the front passenger side wheel is missing.
I am hoping this will be easy to rectify

Paul
geordiepaul2005

Just a thought, but would this part be easily obtainable from a scrap yard? or is it made to fit