Xantia HDI Glow Plug Timer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Xantia HDI Glow Plug Timer

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all,
Can anyone tell when does the glow plug timer come on on my Xantia HDI 90 please. My old 1.9td had glowplugs that light up on ignition turn on and a warnig light on the dashboard. My HDI doesnt seem to do this or is it a case of the light has blown on the dash? Or does the glow plugs do their bit without a warning light and come on when the drivers door opens or something?? Its a Wreg 2000 model with maybe a integrated circuit dash lighting????
Any ideas???
Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The glowplug warning light will only flash on for a second or so if the temperature is around freezing. In warm weather it wont come on at all. HDis can manage without glowplugs altogether until the temperature drops to below zero.
I had a glowplug shorted out on mine which was cutting power to the other three. The only difference it appeared to make was that when we had some nights in February where the temp dropped to minus 9 or so, the engine needed a couple of seconds more cranking before it would fire and produced a cloud of smoke when it did. It never failed to start.