Brake compensator valve

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CurlyBen

Brake compensator valve

Post by CurlyBen »

Hi guys, first post here! I've got a P reg phase 2 306. Unfortunately the other day I was going up the M6 at 70 and had to brake - my rear wheels locked and I hit the central reservation after trying to get the thing back under control. When Jeremy Clarkson goes on about looking where you're going through the side window I don't think he had busy motorways in mind! Anyway, the car's back in one piece now (had to replace quite a lot at the front) and the garage took it for a test drive, and the rear wheels still locked with any heavy braking. They traced the problem as the brake compensator valve, as the arm had seized. Now to my question! I came across some info on the web about Pug recalling a number of 306s built about the time I think mine was built for a faulty or incorrectly set valve, but getting any info from them about it has been very difficult. They've been helpful but apparently they just don't keep records over 10 years old - I'm not sure why, but it doesn't help! So does anyone here know anything about the recall, or any other failures of the valve? I know it may just be coincidence, just trying to get to the bottom of it.
Cheers
Ben
pazz
My Cars:

Post by pazz »

I found the following on usedcarexpert.co.uk for the 306:

Recall date 19 Sept 1997
Built between 11 Feb 1997 and 10 Mar 1997 (Ryton Plant) and
11 Feb 1997 to 5 Mar 1997 (Poissy Plant).
The load sensitive compensator on the braking system may be incorrectly set.
1993 309GLi Auto 145K
1993 405GLi Auto Estate 218K
CurlyBen

Post by CurlyBen »

Cheers, yeah that's what set me onto the recall in the first place. Not really been able to get any more info!
Cheers
Ben
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

The valve does seem to be something that some MOT testers miss. I had trouble with a 405 estate when the spring broke, you can't get just the spring and the ones in the scrap yards have broken springs too.

Steve.
not applicable
DirtyGertie
My Cars:

Post by DirtyGertie »

Is it a DIY job to replace :?:
Vera 2001 5dr 106 1.5D 56k
Gertie 98 5Dr Dturbo No Cat or EGR over 130K R.I.P lost fight with 7.5 Truck :(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

DirtyGertie wrote:Is it a DIY job to replace :?:
Yes -

Its a fairly easy job. Nothing to adjust, except both rear wheel brake cylinders MUST be bled finishing off the job.

The valve itself is a very simple variable OPENING valve, with some external moving parts.
These parts must be kept lubricated to ensure the valve can move and do its job, when the rear is loaded.
The more weight on load, the more the valve OPENS and allows for more pressure transferred to the rear brakes.

The spring is just a way to transfer the mechanical movement at the same time providing an easy method for a way-limiter.
Any spring with approximately the same length and tension would do as spare.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image