1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9TD which gearbox oil?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a4gom
My Cars:

1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9TD which gearbox oil?

Post by a4gom »

Swapping a drive shaft tomorrow, as such I would expect to loose some gearbox oil in the process. Can anyone confirm what type I need to get, roughly how much and where the filling / level check hole is.

TIA[/url]
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You must only use a 75W/80 oil, nothing else.

Either Total BV or Comma 75W/80 is OK.

Failure to use the right stuff can give an iron-hard change when cold and/or damage the alloy synchro hubs.

BE3 gearboxes are very fussy over their oil requirements.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

much obliged will sort some 1st thing in the morning. 8)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry, forgot to say where the filler/level plug is. I was too tired last evening after a day at Alton Towers :lol:

It's the (only) 19mm bolt half way up the rear side on the tin end of the gearbox. It looks for all the world like another bolt holding the tin cover on the end of the 'box.

Take it slowly until oil just dribbles out. BE3 gearboxes don't like being overfillled, they show their displeasure by venting it out of the breather on top of the 'box...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Is this a manual gearbox. If it's automatic, go to your Cit garage and suffer the cost