xantia help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

poggle
My Cars:

xantia help

Post by poggle »

i've a xantia 2.0 hdi doin cambelt change ,i put ext/bar and socket on crank pulley bolt wife on brake pedal and 1st gear pulled and it cracked so i thought but no, now i can turn engine over easy in 1st and brake on and i know this isn't right can anyone help with suggestions on what has given way i think centre boss has broken away please HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Let me get this straight. You are saying that in 1st gear with the front brakes hard on you can now turn the engine over easily? Did you hear anything "let go" as you tried to undo the crank bolt?

Although this looks disasterous, I very much doubt that it is...

There is no way with a breaker bar you could give anything like the torque necessary to break anything unless something was exceedingly weak and ready to fail to start with. I suspect that what has happened is that the brake system has run out of hydraulic pressure after emptying the accumulator and the brakes are not actually on. You are seeing the effect of differential action, observed by one wheel rotating one way and the other rotating the other way.

Pop the car into fifth gear, apply the handbrake hard and try again. I'll wager all will be OK. Remember in 1st gear you'll have a massive torque amplification that can easily break the grip of the brakes. Fifth is better as it's almost a "straight through" ratio. I've often found that even in fifth, the brakes will not hold adequately for a really tight and difficult bolt.

If the problem persists, you may have damaged the clutch. To confirm that drive is reaching the clutch, spin the engine over on the crank pulley whilst an assistant peers through an inspection slot in the bellhousing and observing the flywheel/clutch cover moving. At least you know then the crank is still in one piece.

For really difficult bolts, I don't like straining the clutch and transmission too much and resort to the method of jamming a stout "T" bar with a good impact socket over the crank bolt against the front wishbone and giving the crank bolt a quick jolt with the starter after ensuring the engine cannot fire. That has not yet failed me although I've never done it (or a belt change) on an HDi engine.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
poggle
My Cars:

Post by poggle »

hi citrojim
this morning i've started the engine put it in gear and the wheel that is off the ground has no drive to it the other one is on the ground i'm thinking centre boss on drive plate justbgoing to check lever to gearbox is ok will keep you posted
poggle
My Cars:

Post by poggle »

hi all checked lever to gearbox ok, both wheels off the ground now on axle stands,thought well box out jobby drained tranny oil out,drive shafts next put socket and bar on it did'nt feel right it was in gear with hand brake on drive shaft was going round easy me thinks ummmm no bolts through disc put 2 on each wheel started the car went through all gears fine put hand brake on nearly stalled engine, chap down the street came up bit of a grease monkey he say turn the crank bolt might have tilted the engine to such a point the three cups on end of drive shaft popped out enough to lose drive going to put oil in tomorrow put wheels on and try it up the street if it ok i can get on with cam belt only this i'll try your way citrojim socket, bar wishbone
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always loosen hub nuts with wheels on the ground, hand brake hard on and a block of wood under the front of the wheel on the N/S and rear of wheel on the O/S, then there is no need to have an other body with foot on the brake
regards malcolm