LHM breather pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

LHM breather pipe

Post by tomsheppard »

On my BX, there are two vey thin (3mm)clear pipes emanating from a Y piece on top of the LHM reservoir. one of them disappears into a large bundle of plumbing that runs up the inner wing and the other goes nowhere, leaving me with 18" of pipe which clearly needs somewhere to go! Can anybody help me rehome it please? Identifying it and it's function for my interest would be nice, too!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It is as you suggest a tank breather, and the loose end is normally just pushed into the hole in the wing behind the tank. The other end is connected to the pressure regulator, and I am not sure of its function. Suffice to say that if it comes adrift then the PR pumps all the LHM out on the floor. Repaired this on my mates BX TD estate in a carpark in Chamonix - got a jubilee clip from the hardware store with lots of pointing and random hand gestures!
Richard
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thank you!I shall shove it into the nearest suitable looking 'ole and forget it! I am not sure that the breather falling off at the pr end would cause the car to bleed to death though. Being a breather and therefore at low pressure it shouldn't need a Jubilee clip to retain it? Surely the PR was faulty in trying to force all the LHM up the breather. Besides, what is to stop a proportion of the LHM from escaping through the free ended pipe instead of all going back into the tank? Are we talking about the same pipe, I wonder...?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

There's a transparent tube that arrives at the pressure regulator from the OTHER side of the car, though I don't think this is the 2nd branch of the tee. That's quite capable of leaking appreciable quantities of LHM, so I think it's the one Richard is talking about.