GSF droplink question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As far as I can remember, yes, new nuts are supplied.

The biggest job in changing droplinks is getting the old top nut off where it attaches to the strut. There is no taper. There is not much of a taper on the lower part either.

OE links have an internal hex or Torx in the threaded ends to take an Allen or Torx key to counterhold as you undo the nut. Non-OE ones often don't although they may have some flats to allow a pair of mole grips to counterhold.

Give the exposed threads a good wire brush to clean them and then douse well in Plus Gas to give you a fighting chance. You may well be lucky then and the nuts will easily come off as long as you can counterhold the thread.

If not, just angle grind them off. It can be done very quickly and neatly with no damage whatsoever.

Whenever you do any work that may require disconnecting droplinks it is always a good idea to have spare ones on hand just in case you have to resort to the angle grinder.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mostly GSF droplinks come WITHOUT nuts - I have a set in my garage for the ZX just purchased, and I forgot to order the nuts.... d'oh! If you're replacing anyway, don't bugger about trying to get the nuts off - you won't - especially if they're the OE fit type that have the hex / torx in the end. Get a thin cutting disc for the angle grinder and chop them off 8)

Note that there are 2 makes of link for Xantia sold by GSF. The cheap ones are rubbish, and will probably only last 10k. The more expensive ones are OE spec Lemforder ones, and should last 60-70k.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:Mostly GSF droplinks come WITHOUT nuts.
:shock: :shock:

That is remarkable Richard! Sorry for the duff gen Superloopy :oops:

I must have just been lucky with the ones I've bought...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it seems to be hit and miss whether you get new nuts or not from GSF, i did on the one i fitted the other day to one of my customers XANTs
regards malcolm
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The Lemforder droplinks I got for my Xantia from GSF didn't come with new nuts - which was a bit disappointing....but nylock nuts of the right size are readily available from engineering suppliers, I had no trouble finding some.

Edit: can't actually remember now whether the droplinks use nylock nuts or not. :oops: possibly not...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

:? Strange, the Lemforder ones I got from GSF came with nuts AND washers
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its the rule to supply new nuts/washers with droplinks, tie-rods, swiveljoint etc, as the old one would more than likely be scrapped.
Not only by the work process - but especially for safety reasons !

If these bits are not supplied - then make the seller aware of this.
Otherwise you may not be able to fit the part and why bother purchase it then ?
- as simple as that :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Just to add my 2 cents worth....when I purchased a droplink from GSF a couple of months ago,it came with new nuts and I wouldn't be to happy if they didnt for the same reason's Ander's spells out.

regards Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Do yourself a favor and buy Lemforder's. GSF are way to cheap and last too little. You will find yourself replacing them again in a couple of months.

I could only find Citroen ones down here but they were worth every penny. 2 years and 40,000 km later and no problems yet. And the roads down here aren't perfect.

Regards

Oscar
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)