Trackrite?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Trackrite?

Post by RichardW »

Anybody got or used a Trackrite device for setting tracking?

I changed the track rod ends on the Xantia last night, so need to get the tracking re-set now. Figured that if the trackrite was any good I'd get one, since they are only the cost of 3 lots of tracking - and I'm more likely to do it properly (I do like my steering wheel to be centralised!).

Xantia is much improved with new TREs - much less wandery, the steering is very much more precise, and much of the front end knocking has gone. I still managed not to get the nut on the O/S joint loose enough before breaking the joint, and had to saw it off though - one day I'll remember :roll:

Got to buy new front tyres as well - the O/S one is on the limit - going to fit the spare otherwise it's likely to fail the MOT on Friday. Odd wear pattern though - they are thinner in the middle, but have not been run over pressure and when you look across the tyre when not fitted to the car, there is a definite dip in the middle of the tread - first time I have seen that!
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i allways thoght the only thing which can cause a tyre to wear the centre more than the edges is over presure, how do you check your tyre presure
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would go with citronut. I can't think of anything other the over inflation that could cause that type of wear, unless you have a defective tyre. Was it the same both sides?

I use a length of old electrical metal conduit tube with a length of threaded rod with two nuts on, slid inside to do my tracking. I have used this tool for 25 years or more and my tyre wear is spot on even. Adjust the length so that it just touches the inside edge of the tyres level with the bottom edge of the wheel at the front then transfer it to the same position at the back, this will give you an instant assesment of the tracking accuracy.

The XM setting is parrallel to towing out, so I set it touching at the back with just a small gap, 1mm or so at the front.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I've only had the car 16k, so may have been run over pressure before that. Immaterial anyway as they are goosed!

Have ordered a Trakrite - £50 delivered from e-bay. May have to use the works car park to set it up though!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Considering every tyre place I've tried set it up different every time and never get the steering wheel properly centred, I'm strongly considering the investment in one of these sets.

Especially given my Activa needs new front tyres soon and I've lost complete confidence in any firm locally to track it correctly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

I have used Elite in rainham essex for years, my xantia is spot on, they use a very expensive machine, evnshows on the report the signs of wear in my o/s/r trailingarm bearing. They check camber, castor, toe in/out, plus other angles that I can't remember off hand.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Whilst Elite may be good, I think driving from Glasgow to Essex just to get a decent tracking check might be a tad excessive 8)

Anyway Trakrite now arrived and I had a play with it last night - seems to work OK even on just the few metres of paved area at the end of my drive. Wasn't dressed for adjusting it, so still have to do that - the first one will be a bit of a calibration exercise to find out the ratio of turns on the track rods to degrees of adjustment.

One tip though - you really need an assisistant to drive - it would save a lot of clambering in and out of the car!!!
:roll:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is it best to use these as a pair,

also to maintain a straight steering wheel you need to adjust both sides equaly, what ever you might find one side to the other,

this is were the tyre fitting shops get it wrong and put you wheel out of kilter
regards malcolm