406 1.9td fuel pump and injector

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sdw76

406 1.9td fuel pump and injector

Post by sdw76 »

forgive my ignorance, I have a 1996 406 1.9td, does it have a fuel pump or is the fuel sucked up via the injector.
I only ask because I am tempted to use biodiesel or veggie oil - I understand that all 1.9td's have bosch injector pumps which are apparently more favourable to bio/veggie fuel.

All advise appreciated.

Many thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

The Bosch injection pump on the 1.9TD 406 is in effect two pumps in one; it has a lift pump to draw fuel up from the tank and a high pressure pump to inject metered fuel, via the injectors, into the engine.

Running on veg is possible with the Bosch pump and a search in the Citroen area of this forum will give you all you need to know. The contemporary Citroen 1.9TDs use exactly the same engine as your 406.

Note that only the Bosch pump is suitable. Please ensure positively that yours does indeed have a Bosch pump. The alternative Lucas pump fitted to some Peugeot 1.9TDs is definitely not veg-friendly and it will soon throw its toys out of its pram in a very destructive and expensive manner on even comparatively small ratios of veg oil.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sdw76

Post by sdw76 »

Thanks, how do I know its def a bosch pump.....According to Haynes manuals all the 406 1.9td's have bosch pumps.

Thanky again.
greg123
My Cars:

Post by greg123 »

It will have a square rotor head. Well made biodiesel with a viscosity similar to diesel is also suitable on the Lucas/CAV, but poor bio or any form of oil is not on the Lucas.
Tdi VAG mechanic & vegoil converter
Plumb bob
My Cars:

Post by Plumb bob »

I gave up using SVO in my Hilux, when it got to be as expensive as diesel!
bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

You can get SVO from costco for £0.842 a litre, but you have to be a member.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.