ABS light 96 Xantia TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

ABS light 96 Xantia TD

Post by Bren »

After having various problems with my ABS light (new sensor for MOT) the light is intermittently illuminating again - even when I am stationary. If I switch off and start moving again the light extinguishes. Sometimes the STOP light will illuminate for a second or so. Do I have an ABS problem or an instrument problem?
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so is it the STOP lamp or the ABS lamp which is coming on now, if the later you still have n ABS fault, but if its the STOP lamp dose any other lmp light at the same time, weather other lights come on with it or not check all your fluid levels (engine oil, coolant and hydraulic fluid), the hydraulic fluid level cn only be checked with car on level ground and fully up on the highest setting
regards malcolm
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

I'm sorry Malcolm - I did'nt make myself clear. The lights come on independently of one another - the Stop light flashes for a second or so along with the temp. warning light - even if the engine is not up to temp. This is why I was wondering if I had an instrumentation problem. The fluid levels are regularly checked and are always correct.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

not sure about the abs but i have had the other problem known to me as the phantom overheat :lol:
it is mostly caused by a faulty/dirty connection to the bitron unit from the plug on the thermostat housing a good clean of this plug and a check for broken wires will usually clear it up
do your fans kick in on full speed when the light/s come on??
they should as this indicates default/overheat mode and proves that the bitron is doing its job just getting a false signal but acting on it as it should :) :)

hope this helps

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

One cause I had, Bren, of the ABS light intermittently coming on was dirt and muck on one of the ABS sensor rings. It happends after a CV joint boot split and covered the ring in grease.

I cleaned it up and never a problem again.

Flaky rust that gathers on the rear hub sensor rings can also cause this. Trouble is, they're a bit of a devil to get to being effectively under the rear discs. Still, it's a good excuse to give your rear claipers a once-over.

The other cause can be intermittencies on the ABS sensor connectors. It will be worth beaking each one apart and cleaning them, mindful that the front ones are usually well doused in oil and LHM.

I'm sorry, I too thought you meant the ABS and STOP light was coming on at the same time. I've been scratching my head over that one since you first posted... Glad that's cleared up!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

So there's THREE lights coming on now? :? :lol: :lol: