Black crud in my intercooler pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RugbyPete

Black crud in my intercooler pipes

Post by RugbyPete »

I have oil in my intercooler pipes.... i cant remember if this is normal (oil catch tank needed) of it its a problem with a worn turbo

just noticed it when i did the glow plugs at the weekend

Its not reall ybad, could have accumilated over the years but its got stuff in there.

any help?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

It is a common event. If you want to improve the IC effeciency there is a write-up on here detailing how to clean it out. Just make sure there's no fluid left in the IC before refitting as it'll likely get sucked into the engine.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As Mike says Pete, oil here is totally normal and nothing at all to worry about.

It comes from the crankcase breather. If you look at the pipe from the oil filler pot that goes to the inlet tract via the "capsule", that's the breather. The inlet suction sucks fumes from the crankcase and inveitably, some oil mist will be dragged in too, hence the oil.

It may actually be beneficial...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...