xantia 2.0HDI Core Plug water leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

xantia 2.0HDI Core Plug water leak

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi All,
My 'new' Xantia 2.0 HDI (90) engine has a water leak!!!
The water seems to be running down the front of the engine, although it is night time and can see proper till tomorrow. I wondered if it could be something as simple as the thermostat not sealed or something, any other ideas???? Matrix is ok too

Paul
Last edited by wrinklet1 on 30 Mar 2008, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Ok Guys,
I have found out what the problem is...... its (looking from the front) the 2nd 'core/welch plug'.
Now, how easy is it to replace this????? and, any tips about how to do it too???

Paul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Paul,

Depening on access, it's very easy. I replaced a core plug on Dad's 205D not too long ago, the one right behind the injection pump :twisted:

Get the old one out by drilling a small hole in it and screwing in a self-tapper; then you can lever it out on the self-tapper.

Simply tap the new one home. Wipe a smear of Hylomar around it if you like but there is really no real need..

Downside is you have to buy a full set of coreplugs usually :( 99% you'll never use...

I'd wonder why it went. Has the coolant changes been neglected perhaps? Is the coolant rusty? Has there been a leak and the system regularly topped up with water?

Dad's 205D had a leaky heater matrix that had been bypassed but in the meantime, the ex-owner had been topping up with ordinary water and what was in it was as rusty as a horse shoe.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I have looked at it and it looks just like minute arc weld in the middle about half a mm in width, or it looks like when you touch metal with a live wire.

Paul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wrinklet1 wrote:I have looked at it and it looks just like minute arc weld in the middle about half a mm in width, or it looks like when you touch metal with a live wire.
I know the look exactly..

That'll be a tiny rust hole Paul, possibly as a result of bad plating when the coreplug was made.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

May be an easy option drilling and tapping a threaded hole to fit a small bolt holding a flat section seal.
The coolant pressure is no more than approx 1bar, as then the filler cap valve will open and expell the over-pressure.
Also keep in mind that standard bathroom or building silicone paste easily withstands temperatures up to approx 140degC, more than adequate for non critical engine sealing purposes.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Ok, Job done. Stripped the common rail off the car, to get to the core plug. Screwed a self tapping screw into the hole, prized the core plug out, wiped it clean then tapped in a new one. Took about 1 hour to do the job. No leaks at the moment (thank goodness)

Thanks for the help again.
Paul