Turbo not working?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It should definitely feel more lively above 2250 rpm. It's unlikely the turbo is not working - more likely that one of the pipes has come off or is split. Try revving the engine with bonnet open and see if you can feel or hear the air rushing out somewhere. Favourite places for failure are the small pipe that runs from the intercooler pipework to the injection pump, or one of the big hoses popped off somewhere.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm sure if the turbo wasn't working you would know, the car would be completely gutless. You can easily check for some function by removing the air intake pipe from the manifold and feeling for a strong draught when you rev the engine. As Richard says, check the thin pipe that goes to the pump, that is the one that increases the fueling when on boost.

You shouldn't really have black smoke, what you see is generally accumlated soot in the exhaust system being ejected, if you never have that it could be that the pump is set a bit lean, which if its a Bosch pump is easily rectified.