Xantia Diagnostic tools

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Xantia Diagnostic tools

Post by handyman »

Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice from the forum as to diagnostic code readers for the Xantias. :o

From a pre-emptive search, I understand that the diagnostic read-outs from the ECU is in either ODB or ODB11 and that a specialized reader is needed to interpret the fault codes. No good for my ancient Draper "Flashing LED" unit.

Can anybody recommend a diagnostic unit, as I would like to buy one to supplement my other tools? Anybody know of a source of information to read-up on how the systems work, preferably written in Luddite! :shock:

I assume that these diagnostic tools will interpret info from the whole range of post 1996 cars as we have Activas, HDis and petrol engined cars in the family fleet.

The CX and ZX still work OK with the flashing LED.

Handyman
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Handyman,

The diagnostics are similar to ODBII but not compatible with any of the economically priced "ELM" readers out there. I've tried hard to "crack" it but failed miserably so far.

My Activa even teases me by having an ODBII compatible diagnostic socket that is even wired to the OBDII standard but all I can get out of it is a big Gallic shrug...

DickieG will be able to tell you more...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

This is quite a complex subject with many options depending on the type of diagnostic socket fitted to your car, how many functions you wish to interrogate and needless to say your budget.

Aftermarket code readers made by Snap on, Bosch etc will cost £2000 - £5000 and allow access to most functions (not all), others such as Sykes Pickavant ACR4 will access the engine, ABS, Airbags and gearbox can be bought second hand for say £500. If however you wish to access everything on the car, engine, gearbox, ABS, airbags, air con, Hydractive, indexed rear view mirror etc etc then you need a dealers tool such as ELIT, Souriau 26A, Lexia, Proxia which depending on model is difficult to get hold of and expensive unless you buy second hand on Ebay, expect to pay between £600- £1000. I notice that someone is offering a Lexia new on Ebay for around £1200 but with no feedback on the product I'd be reluctant to spend that sort of money personally. One thing to also bear in mind here is that I've heard that there are spurious Lexia products being made in China.

I've been using the Sykes ACR4 for a few years now and find that it's OK, but yesterday I managed to pick up an ELIT which quite opened my eyes as to how far a dealers diagnostic tool will go, talk about making life easy, it picked up a logged fault code on my Activa of the steering wheel sensor having an intermittant fault which I would never have found otherwise. Best of all you can set the ELIT up to analyse functions on the car whilst it is being driven, should a fault be found then it immediately lets you know.

Ultimately you pays your money etc etc.

As a starting point the following link might help http://www.bba-reman.com/
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Richard and Jim, thanks for your information on the diagnostics systems. Do you know of any sources of information so I can read up on it to get a better understanding of how Citroen have designed their systems?

So I do not need a system compatible with ODB or ODB11! :roll:

I suppose, with at least five Xantias in the family, an investment of a couple of hundred quid for a decent compatible diagnostic unit has to pay dividends in the long run. Ebay seems to be the ideal tool for finding a good secondhand unit.

Richard, is there a prefered make I should be looking for?

Richard, aka handyman
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

handyman wrote:Richard, is there a prefered make I should be looking for?
Ideally any of the four dealer systems and of those I suppose Lexia, but check what sort of diagnostic socket your cars have and compare that with what's being offered, most on Ebay only have the 16 pin OBD socket.

My ELIT has only the 30 pin, my ACR 4 the 30 and 16 pin OBD.

As far as reading up then you'll have to either get hold of Genuine Citroen workshop manuals or sign into "Citroen Service"
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Richard, thanks for that extra bit of info. I am already registered with Citroen Service so I will peruse the site later for details.

With the variations on diagnostic sockets, do not all tool manufacturers offer plug-in leads that supplement their standard connector?

What are the chances of me seeing your diagnostic unit in action before I commit to a purchase?

Richard
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

handyman wrote:With the variations on diagnostic sockets, do not all tool manufacturers offer plug-in leads that supplement their standard connector?
AFAIK yes, but the cost of the connecting leads will make your eyes water, generally each lead starts @ £75+ and in the instance of my ACR 4 you'll need at least four to possibly 5 just for Xantia's, two of which cost £200 each :shock: . Oh yes and a pod depending on whether you are testing the engine or ABS/airbags .
handyman wrote:What are the chances of me seeing your diagnostic unit in action before I commit to a purchase?
No problem, let me know when you want to pop round.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I'm currently trying to get a cheap (£65) code reader working with my XM. Obviously I'd kill for a Elit (watchout DickieG!) but it's way out of my budget. I ended up with a Visascan/Euroscan interface off Ebay but it has it's problems to get it to work. I needs 2x RS232 ports that are 16BIT native so this rules out all laptops unless you buy a PCMCIA card that is 16 BIT. Currently I'm waiting for one to arrive that I got cheap on Ebay.

It'll never rival a dealer tool but on the upside I should be able to manage some live data reading for under £100 and it should work on a range of vehicles with the included leads. I'll post an update if you're interested.

Steve.
not applicable
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

steelcityuk wrote:I'll post an update if you're interested.
Steve.
Yes Please Steve, very interested :D

Have you any more details of these Visascan/Euroscan devices?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi,

The seller I bought my kit from doesn't have any listed at the moment but this looks the same - Ebay item number 380011245561. The Ebayer I bought mine from had a username of *sand66p* (including the *).

Have a browse of this thread too to get a taste of the problems involved in getting it to work - http://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a

As I said not a patch on dealer tools but at the price if you can get it to work. From what I understand it uses the K & L lines to communicate with the cars ECU.

The 16 bit PCMCIA card has arrived so I'm in the process of setting up a laptop with the right software.

Steve.

Steve
not applicable