Xantia airbag removal help!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Xantia airbag removal help!!!

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
have just attempted to remove the steering wheel airbag to enable me to replace the steering shroud but have come well and truly stuck :oops: :oops:

A previous owner has at some stage had the airbag off as the screw covers have been opened up all well so far :)

removed first screw with no problems but second one has had the head rounded off and i cant get the B£$^*&^D out

any ideas guys?

colin
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Usually I'd say impact driver.... :?
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

MikeT wrote:Usually I'd say impact driver.... :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: maybe not.

Only thing I can suggest would be an Allen key. I've just had one of these off and yes they are tight. You should be OK provided you've disconnected the battery and wait 10 mins or so.

Also it may be worth noting that these screws are put in at an angle, not straight.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

thanks ken
have had the battery disconected for about an hour before i started playing at removal (footy was on :) )
have tried 3 or 4 similar sized torx bits but cant get it to grip. none of the allen keys will budge it either.
thinking that maybe it was put back in with an allen key if head already shot and tightening has stripped it even more :evil:

would like to get it off but not sure what next to try.would tapping into it be an option or am i likely to end up deploying the airbag??
can live with the problem for the time being but have noticed that the whole switch assembly (wipers and indicators) rocks on the housing cant see whats loose until i get steering wheel off :( :(

any comments welcome...

Colin
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

The switch/indicator assembly thing is held on by 4 (i think) screws behind the wheel and maybe even the airbag rotary switch.

If you have one screw out already, could you not use this as a size guide and grind a flat screwdriver or similar down to a size that would be a very nice tight fit into the head and try again?
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

ken newbold wrote:
If you have one screw out already, could you not use this as a size guide and grind a flat screwdriver or similar down to a size that would be a very nice tight fit into the head and try again?
thanks for that Ken that never even entered my head :oops: :oops:
need to get a grip on these alternatives remedies :lol: :lol:

Colin
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

When I have trouble with the last screw on something I apply as much pressure to the screwdriver as I can without slipping and wiggle the whole assembly while trying to turn the screw.

The airbag shouldn't deploy without an electrical signal so tapping should be safe enough- the steering column gets quite a lot of shock loads in service anyway. Keep the windows open, try not to get charged with static and maybe wear ear protection, just in case.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Even safer :

When the minus clamp is removed from battery, then allow it to stay shortcircuited to the plus clamp, using any wire etc. That will POSITIVELY remove any remaining small charges from capacitors in radios, computers etc, ensuring you are safe working on these explosives.

There is no risc using an impact screwdriver then.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

have decided to put things back together and leave the screw for a while

the main reason being she needs the car tomorrow and if i got it out i would need a new one to go back in and that is going to be impossible on a bank holiday :lol: :lol:

will update if and when it finally comes out

Colin
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

With larger fastners, the usual trick is to weld a 'good' bolt to the damaged one. Now I don't know if it would work, but you could try using a good quality epoxy to do a similar job.