wonky lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

wonky lights

Post by john alexander »

Hi again , yet another silly fault . xantia 1.9td est . When i switch the ignition on the rear fog warning light on the dash comes on , after a few seconds it goes out again but comes on again when I switch the side lights on ( the rear fogs dont work or the number plate lights) . can anyone suggest where to start looking. Ive had a look in the BOL but thats as clear as mud. I hope someone out there can help regards john.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Check your camper outlet socket. Known to cause wonky fogs on UK cars.

IIRC its connected inside cars LHS rearlights cluster with its own connector.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had this exact problem on my XM, except that I think the warning lamp was staying on, but I cant think for the life of me what caused it. I vaughly seem to remeber that I had done some work on it and conected something up wrong, but I cant remember what. Have you done any work on yours or did this occur spontainiously?
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Thanks to anders and peter, the towbar electrics are not wired to a plug but are scotchlok'd to the wires, and have been for over a year. the problem has just started and I cant relate it to anything else. If the light comes on as I'm starting the car it appears to time out. ps where is the Earthing point for the rear tail gate. regards john.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you'll find that most if not all the rear lights earth in the left hand rear unit. With multiple light problems its well worth checking the earths first. Its also worth checking the plugs and sockets - I had a total brake light failure on my BX which turned out to be a corroded plug and socket (after I'd changed the brake light switch - a horrible job)

Xantia plugs and sockets are probably vastly better than BX ones - our ZX has impressive screw in ones in many places which seem to be made of a very shiny metal (stainless steel??)

I'm not sure of the Xantia layout but if lights on the tailgate are affected its worth looking at the flexible wire between the tailgate and the car.

The trailer light problem is probably confined to ready made Citroen wiring which uses a switch in the socket to cut the car rear fog lights when the trailer is connected (to save dazzle when a caravan is being towed?) All is well until the socket is replaced with an after market one without the switch - whereupon the car rear foglights stop working.
jeremy
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

latest update , warning light now off ,but no rear lights except brake light . dont you just love it when it all goes pearshaped at once. regards john.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The loom along the bottom of the radiator is a common cause of strange electrical faults.
If the openings are at the top, the water gets in to rot the wires:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16816

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23020
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389