Oil in inlet manifold

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sphinx

Oil in inlet manifold

Post by Sphinx »

Hello all, hoping someone can clear something up for me.

I noticed the other day that there was some oil coming from the rubber joins between the plastic and the metal part of the inlet manifold on my phase 1 2.1 TD Xantia.
Now I've taken things apart and am going to put some gasket sealant in there once it's all cleaned....my question is, is it normal for there to be oil residue in the inlet system on these cars?

Thanks

Tom
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Yes it is normal for oil to be in there but no it's not normal for it to weep although it is a common fault. A new (jubilee clip?) should sort it without the need for sealant. Try tightening the current clip first.
Sphinx

Post by Sphinx »

Cheers Mike, I assumed it was normal with turbo diesels as my old pug did the same. I mean, it shouldn't happen really should it? becuase surely the only placde for the oil to come from is the turbo itself?

There are no jubilee clips on these rubber 'sleve's', they seem to be just a push fit.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

It is considered normal for a show of oil from joints like this, especially on a turbo diesel, the breather system goes through the inlet piping and oil mist eventually builds up and condenses, looking worse than what it really is. With an older engine and more wear, you get more blow by which increases the crankcase pressure, forcing more out through the breathers. Not a concern IMO.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

What he said :lol: But if there is no clip I would fit one, it couldn't hurt could it?
Sphinx

Post by Sphinx »

It's doing the clip up once it's on that's the problem, access is a real problem on this engine :lol:

Cheers for all the replies guys, much appreciated :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Many years ago, when I first had a 405TD I saw this same oil in and on the turbo pipes and was terrified. I thought the turbo had blown! It was a forum (usenet actually - so many years ago) that put my mind at rest and explained where the oil came from.

The oil mist may even help the turbo live longer. Apart from making a mess it does no harm.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sphinx

Post by Sphinx »

I'd just like to make clear, I'm only doing the job becuase the oil collected so much it made a drip on the drive, which I hate :lol:
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

I also have a bit of oil in the turbo pipes and the rubber trunking from the air filter - obviously there is some pressure but I am not worried.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)