Diesel Engines

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Diesel Engines

Post by rossnunn »

Allo fella's.
Nice to see the forum back up.

I'm after some info on PSA diesel engines.
I know/played with the 1.9TD's but not the others.

So 1.9TD, 2.1TD, 2.5TD. What would you say is the best engine?
Are they a similar size (physically)
What sort of power/tourqe does each make?
What is each like to tune? (I know the 1.9TD can be played with, with good results)
Does anyone know the weight of each?
I know the 1.9's are happy on 100% veg but what about the others?
Whats the power delivery like on each?

Cheers

Ro
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Ross,

My choice is the 2.1TD

A bit about it here giving my feelings on it :) I love the 2.1TD

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23502

Basically it's a bored and stroked 1.9TD with a three-valve head, hydraulic tappets and a fully electronic Lucas EPIC Pump.

Tuning potential as-is is nowt due to the pump but a mechanical Bosch could be substituted. Mind you, it goes so wel, you may not want to do too much to it.

The 2.5TD is conceptually similar to the 2.1TD but is a complex engine that has balance shafts. I know very little about it as it was used mainly in the XM but I'm sure someone will soon post all about it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Right good stuff.

So the early/van ones run Bosh pumps = good for veg = good for me.

Is the power band very narrow?

Do you know if the engine is much heavier than the 1.9? & physically much larger?

Whats the bhp of it in standard form?

Does it use the 1.9's gearbox or its own?

Cheers everso
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think it puts out 110bhp in standard tune and it uses a beefier gearbox.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The power band is wide'ish Ross. From idle to about 3,500 rpm. It's not a high-revver like the 1.9TD. Oodles of torque all the way.

It's physically about the same as a 1.9TD but a bit wider at the top due to the 12V head which effectively precludes getting it's head off and on in-situ.

It sits in the Xantia the same as a 1.9 but uses a very different top engine mount.

It uses the ML5T gearbox with hydraulic clutch as used on the 2.0CT Activa and the 110bhp HDi.

Are you looking at transplanting one into something then?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yeah considering it.
I have a 1.5D 106 at the mo, but its abit lacking in the grunt stakes. Fine for pootling about but you need a fair gap should you want to over take anything. It is good on fuel though & in this day & age I need that.
So my first thoughts was a 1.9TD. Theres a video of a 106 with one in on Youtube, so it obviously fits, but then I started to look around.....

I'd take the engine from a 406/Xant & drop it in, use the FIMC rather than the top mounted to cut overall height & that should keep the whole apperance subtle.

The 110bhp is a interesting figure as I seem to recall a breathed on 1.9 will produce something similar. So its the age old descision, do I get the 1.9 & have to tune it to 2.1 power outputs or go to a 2.1 to start with, then consider playing with power later.

Both should be pretty good in a 106, power to weight n all that, its if the 2.1 will be just too much for the shell. (if it fits)
Both engines I can pick up for simiar money.

Its reliability too, I know the 1.9 will do a billion miles without a hickup but the 2.1 is a unknown to me.

mmmm its gonna take some chewing over thats for sure & plently of tape measure action.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

When i had my 1.9 TD Xantia i had it `breathed upon`.Took power from 92 bhp to 112 bhp ish,& torque from 148 to 178 ish lbft.It made it rapid through the gears,so in the lighter 106 should be a flyer!
Would make an interesting project :D
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Well I took a my 106 & turned it into a nose to tail xsi replica, got really anal & changed the interior looms & everything.
My plan is to do the same in this case. But as I'm in no rush I can afford to be picky. So I'm looking for a S2 GTi in China Blue on a R plate (have a private plate) or later with a dead engine or minor crash damage. But me being me it needs to be laughably cheap, something Gti's aren't at the mo.
Then drop the engine in.

Don't get me wrong the 1.5's a cracking engine, but it could do with a little something mid range to aid overtaking & getting off the line can be tricky.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Has anyone ever managed to turbocharged the 1.4/1.5? The 106 is a light car with good handling, a heavier engine which the 1.9/2.1 definatly is will affect the handling to some degree, more prone to understeer and lift off oversteer!

I would be tempted to go for a 1.9 for its tunability aspect. In a 106 it will make more than a flier! My Xantia already pisses off 2 litre Zetec Mondeo's and Alfa 156 Twinsparks, and has even been known to keep with a E46 325i to 50mph :twisted: Could just be my driving though! :wink:
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Is the 1.4hdi from a C2 or C3, not fit in there and comes with a turbo.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

KP wrote:Is the 1.4hdi from a C2 or C3, not fit in there and comes with a turbo.
I reckon expense and complexity would rule that one out.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

XantiaMan583 wrote:
KP wrote:Is the 1.4hdi from a C2 or C3, not fit in there and comes with a turbo.
I reckon expense and complexity would rule that one out.
That & no veg option.