Xantia heating fan stopped working, advice please?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barbarian

Xantia heating fan stopped working, advice please?

Post by Barbarian »

The heating blower has stooped working altogether in my xantia. The heating still works as I can feel it very slightly but the blower is not working at all. It started to die a couple of months back and would come on sporadically and then just slowly die away. Now its just dead and every time it rains the windows steam up and its just a nightmare. I do a lot of starting and stopping as I do deliveries in the car I think this has had something to do with it.

Anybody had experience with this?

Also what is the normal working temperature of the engine? I seem to be sitting at around 100C sometimes 110C quite alot doing the door to door deliveries. Never actually overheated tho. its the 1.9td
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Several things can cause this, faulty ignition switch contacts being one, but check first the small fuse box behind the n/s front headlight, next to the battery. You will find at the front of the box a 30a fuse, the contacts go high resistance and the fuse cooks, if yours looks distressed, replace it and try and clean the contacts in the box. Replacement of the box is the only 100% cure.

The usual problem on the XMs is with the motor control system. There are two transistors on a heatsink on the motor housing, these fail. For replacement types see my signature.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

yeah after searching through the forum a bit Its seems iv had similar symptoms to many others. Like when I first noticed it was going faulty It used to work sometimes when I started the ignition then other times it wouldn't work. Id switch the car off then back on again and it would work. The as it got worse it wouldn't work at all but if I went over a hard bump in the road it would start working again. But now its just totally dead and nothing makes it work.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Totally dead now is still the same fault, the switch has packed up for good.
A relay modification will fix that:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21372

The normal temperature indication is 80ºC on most models.
When the engine gets hot, check that both cooling fans are spinning.
Air in the cooling system also causes overheat.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389