Which Spheres??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Which Spheres??

Post by KP »

Ok im going to replace all the spheres on my xantia in the next 2 weeks after i'm paid(YIPPY!) and was wondering if its worth saving the £13 per sphere going for the GSF generic ones compared to the genuine citroen ones?

as it would save me £78 in total by going for the cheaper ones but if im going to end up replacing them in a year or so it would'nt be worth it...
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I've used GSF and Euro car parts for spheres and not had any problems. Do Pleiades do any good deals/warrenty?

Is it only £13 per sphere? Are these the single or multi layered membrane type?

Steve
not applicable
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I dont know the difference. Its just the ones they offer for non-hydractive xantias and the anti sink and accum spheres as well. the £13 difference soon mounts up, if i was just doing the front or rear alone it would be the price of another sphere...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Like Steve, I've never had any problems with GSF Amtex spheres. They are always fresh (i.e. a recent production date) and seem to do the job well enough.

Genuine OE Citroen ones may make sense if they are triple-layer, are reasonably fresh and you intend to keep the car a long time. I'd be concerned that the Citroen ones may be New Old Stock and therefore not such a good buy. Some bits I've bought in the past from Citroen look like they may have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for some time...

Can the production date of a genuine sphere be deduced from the codes on it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citrojim wrote:Like Steve, I've never had any problems with GSF Amtex spheres. They are always fresh (i.e. a recent production date) and seem to do the job well enough.

Genuine OE Citroen ones may make sense if they are triple-layer, are reasonably fresh and you intend to keep the car a long time. I'd be concerned that the Citroen ones may be New Old Stock and therefore not such a good buy. Some bits I've bought in the past from Citroen look like they may have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for some time...

Can the production date of a genuine sphere be deduced from the codes on it?
Quite agree with you on sphere's I've used Amtex ones for years without problems, mind you I always check the production date (normally fresh from Heathrow, old from Greenford). Euro Car Parts seem to be selling NOS genuine sphere's, I looked at some recently and found they were five years old :shock:

The date is stamped on the sphere and relatively simple to read, the trouble is I'm suffering from 'Oldtimers' at the mo and can't recall it off-hand. It might be the first two numbers denote the year, the others the day by way of the 'Julian Calender'.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

That's cool then ill stick with the GSF Amtex ones i think :)

Thanks guys :)
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I've never bothered with Citroen or GSF ones as Westroen have always been not much more expensive than buying the GSF ones on their own and they of course fit them. I guess if you don't live near Manchester that makes a difference tho.
Xantia number three is..
HDI Exclusive Estate Cat C
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I always use GSF - no problems so far.