V6 Xantia Cooling Fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

V6 Xantia Cooling Fans

Post by DHallworth »

Hi Guys,

My mum has a 1997 R Reg (series 1) V6 Xantia Exclusive.

Whenever she starts the car to go anywhere, or even leaves the ignition on the 2nd stage before engaging the starter motor her fans are flying at full blast.

Have had a quick search and cant find anything. The problem i had was my fans wouldn't spin at all.

It's only done 27k and it immaculate in and out so fingers crossed its nothing serious.

Thanks in advance!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi David,

That sounds very much like a failed Bitron Sensor. I'm not sure where it is on a V6 but it'll be somewhere in the vicinity of the top hose/thermostat and it'll be a brown sensor.

Do a search on Bitron and lots of topics will come up on it. Basically, if the Bitron sensor fails open-circuit the fans default to a fail-safe full speed condition to guard against overheating.

The other possibility is bad connections on the Bitron control unit which normally lives down under the N/S headlamp and gets covered in muck and road spray.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Do the fans still run with the A/C turned off?

The bitron sensor is on the thermostat housing, but is a bit inaccessible without removing at least the airfilter box, and probably the throttle body.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Yup, no matter if the Air Conditioning is on or off the fans are constantly on at full speed.

David.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

By the way of air conditioning, a faulty pressure sensor switch may also cause the fans to spin flat-out as soon as the key is set to ‘ignition’.
The pressure sensor plug has 4 wires, 2 thick ones to operate the compressor, and 2 thin ones to operate the fans at high speed in case of overpressure.
Unplugging the pressure sensor should stop that.

I’ve had the high fan speed fault come and go on my Xantia, caused by a dodgy crimp connection in the socket on the inner guard near the battery:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23458

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hmm, odd one this.... If the temp sensor was faulty then I would expect the fans to run all the time - regardless of the ignition status - but on the other hand I would not expect an A/C fault to influence the fans if the A/C was off - although maybe the high pressure switch is wired such that it gives full fans regardless of the A/C switch position. You may also be caught if this is a MK11 car - the A/C comes on at demist position, without any warning lights.....
Richard W
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

would not expect an A/C fault to influence the fans if the A/C was off
Neither would I, but I must say that I don’t know. :oops: :?
Would have to do some map reading or experiments to find out.

If the temp sensor was faulty then I would expect the fans to run all the time
This one I’ve had cause to find out.
The Bitron has two supplies, one of them permanent, allowing the fans to run at the low speed on the accessory position, and also with the key out, for a maximum timed to 6 minutes, says the book.
The high speed can only operate on the ignition position, from the switched supply.

As a stopgap fiddle to prevent the high speed from operating unnecessarily until I could fiddle with it, I did this bodgie, which made it impossible for the fans to run at the high speed.
The same can be achieved more quickly by removing the high-speed wire from the 3-way connector dangling near the battery, but there’s the risk of ‘mullering’ the plug/socket.
It’s still like that now, and changing it back will get its turn some day.

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

"The high speed can only operate on the ignition position, from the switched supply"

I know for certain that on my 97 MK1 VSX TD that wasn't true - I pulled the connector off to find out - fans roared into life. They also wouldn't stop till I switched the ignition on - was getting ready to disconnect the battery :?
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I looked in Haynes - NBG :cry: Surprise :lol:

Might be time to fork out £3 for an hour on citroen.service and see what wiring diagrams specific to the V6 you can snaffle?
Richard W
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Wiring diagram for the Xantia cooling fans http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Nice one Dickie. Assuming that does apply to the Xantia (probably knowing PSA!) then it's got to be a fault with the HP switch / wiring on the A/C. My reading is that the HP switch is the LH one of the two shown, and this will bring on full fans at key on if it's made. This function is independant of the Bitron (although the Bitron would receive a signal to say the HP switch is made, and presumably cut the A/C compressor). Simply unplugging the pressure switch on the A/C drier should quell the fans if this is the case.
Richard W