MOT question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

MOT question

Post by OwenP »

I've just had my car fail it's MOT this year due to a couple of holes in the sills, thankfully fairly small and easy to weld. When I took it to the garage to get the welds done I noticed a section of exhaust just before the silencer is missing, about the length of a bean tin.

They guy didn't pick this up on the MOT, is he likely to have only done part of the MOT and pick it up on the retest? Bearing in mind the fail slip I have says that it only needs a partial retest.

Will not be happy if he fails it again due to something he missed the first time round, would that be considered grounds for a complaint to VOSA?

I'm not fussed by having to get it fixed, but I would like to have the car back on the road asap, not have to have another repair done when the whole lot could have been done as one job.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This missing section of exhaust Owen, is it just a bit of tail pipe or on the pipe runs from the exhaust manifiold up to the silencer?

If the former, no problem; there is no specification for the tail pipe as far as I know. If the latter, a definite fail as the exhaust integrity is compromised and the silencer is effectively out of use.

If he did not notice it first time around, he may not second time around but I'd not take that chance. Even on a retest and even if not noted on the fail sheet, I'm sure the MOT tester is quite at liberty to find new things to fail it on if in his opinion and so on and so forth.

Having said that, exhaust integrity is such a fundamental part of the MOT that I'm sure he'd have spotted anyting he was not 100% happy with and noted it.

They do't do partial tests. It will have been through a full test even if the failure was noted fairly early on in the test. They can hardly justify an attitude of stopping a test at the first fail point and then failing it again on the retest on things that were not tested on the first test.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

The break is engine side of the silencer, I can't imagine he didn't spot it, because it really is obvious, and he commented on the very good condition of the car other than the fail cause.

As I said I don't mind having to get it fixed, I just can't afford £280 for a new exhaust system till next pay check, and I could do with the car running again, if he'd said on the first test I could have done thing differently with cash.

Having said all that it may be an academic issue when I pick the car up on Friday as the guy who is welding the sill may just do the exhaust as well.

I didn't think they would do a partial test, but nothing would surprise me these days.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Well who'd like to guess how much my local peugeot garage quoted me for a new exhaust system?

£650, oh but it includes free fitting. £650 WTF!!!!! you can buy aftermarket parts for less.

Apparently they could do it for £320 using non pug parts but they charge for fitting in that price.

Does this seem right to anyone? I think my local garage have got their wire crossed when it comes to prices. Earlier in the year they quoted my £2000+ for a new fuel pump.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sounds like the old 'think of a number and double it' syndrome. Are you sure you didn't wander in to a BMW dealer by mistake?

For £350 ish you can get a custom made stainless steel exhaust with a lifetime warranty. Shop around a bit more, there must be better prices than that available.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Yeah, I was planning to shop around, for that price Elim Peugeot can ********************************************************
/line removed for obscene content/

I think I will not be using them in future, will ring the other local garage to ask them about prices for the same items to find out if it is pug in general or that garage
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Quick potters are better than their reputations, and certainly LOTS cheaper :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

AndersDK wrote:Quick potters are better than their reputations, and certainly LOTS cheaper :roll:
If you mean Quickfit, they quoted me £96 for an Accord back box. I bought one for £24 and had it fitted in 10 minutes, easiest job imaginable.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Well, Prior to taking my 306 for it's MOT I replaced the brake servo and during test driving the car to check the brakes I notice that the back box had gone.
I phoned my local pug dealer and they quoted £95 + VAT for the back box (supply only), I politley declined their offer as I had just spent £153.75 with them on buying the servo!
I got a back box from a company called CES (chester exhaust supplies) for £36 including VAT and I fitted it in less than 10 mins without even jacking the car up!
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Well I phoned a couple of other pug dealers, and was quoted around the 530-550 mark by them.

Phoned the local exhaust place and they want £150, guess who I'll be using!
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Took the car back for its retest on Friday, he had a quick look at the welds and that was all, so I now have a car with an MOT pass despite the fact it should have failed, oh well, at least it gives me a couple more months to sort the exhaust.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Result :D :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If there is a chunk missing, how come he didn't hear it?

I wouldn't be going back there - what other possibly crucial items did he miss?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

myglaren wrote:If there is a chunk missing, how come he didn't hear it?
How come it remained in place? On mine, it would be hanging down and dragging on the road :?
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

How he didn't hear it I'm not sure although the cat does quite a good job as a silencer, it certainly isn't overly loud, but is more so than it used to be

I also would like to know if there is anything else he missed, although I don't think there is too much *touches wood* as the car has done very little mileage since a good MOT last year.

The reason the back box is still attached is due to a "strap" round it and the pipe fowling on the bumper not allowing it to drop any great amount, the strap is apparently a tubular metal band.