ISP change from Pipex to TalkTalk

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ellevie
My Cars:

ISP change from Pipex to TalkTalk

Post by ellevie »

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about TalkTalk ?

I don't have any operational issues with Pipex, it's just that I want to get away from BT line rental which is included free with TalkTalk.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ive worked for them since before they launched in Nov 2004 and left last april, partly due to moving further away from one of the offices, but manily due to differences in opinion as to what was assumed to be good customer service and customer dedication.

Go for them if you dont mind problems every few days(the email and webmail server is dire from what i can still see of my old free account) and if you want to save money on something you use every few days and dont do any downloading on.

Its a bit better service if you are connected to an Unbundled exchange but still if you experience any form of LINE fault with them its a nightmare to get sorted due to the call centres based on the other side of the world not being very clued up on things that arent on the sheets of paper in front of them.

How much are pipex cahrging you at the minute and how much do you download a month?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've been with Pipex for years, in fact ever since BroadBand became available in my exchange in 2000 at 512K. That was fast!

Pipex have always done me proud although since running the forum database server off a Pipex link it is surprising how often there are little breaks that ordinarily would not be noticed.

From what I hear, others can be very troublesome. I'd be very tempted to stay where you are and keep with BT.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

Thanks for your replies KP & Jim,

Yes, I've used Pipex for ages and there have been no problems.
They were taken over last year by Tiscali.

I'm using Pipex Xtreme Solo 1000,
unlimited download
£23.44 per month + BT line rental @ £10.50 + vat.

Pipex have offered me a retention deal with their sister company Pipex Homecall,
free line rental,
free calls 24/7
unlimited download
connection fee waived (£20)
12 month contract
£20.98 [normally £25.98]

My local exchange is unbundled for TalkTalk
free evening/weekend calls
40GB download limit
connection fee
18 month contract
£16.39

From what you say KP, perhaps I should pay the extra and go with the retention deal.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You've got to watch Pipex :twisted: I was, for ages on their 2Mb service with a static IP address. That cost £27 a month.

I then found I could go for Pipex Max 8Mb with a static IP Address for £23.99, the same as you're paying now for Solo 1000.

They won't tell you the good deals but they're there and if you push 'em they might bend a bit more.

Also, as a pal found out when he went to O2, Pipex will charge a further two months fees after you've left them. Pipex offered him all sorts of incentives to stay but he refused, smitten by the O2 ADSL2 deal that gave a free modem and up to 18Mb download or something. He's had loads of aggro with disconnections every 10 minutes of so, router reboots all on its own and a download of about 9Mb whereas I get a good solid 7Mb on old-fashioned Pipex ADSL1, when my router behaves itself that is. I'm on my third in almost as many days now and touch-wood, it looks like theird time lucky!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

I've been aware of the better deals on Pipex but they all seemed to require starting a new 12 month contract. I reviewed the new deals from time to time to see if they were offering free line rental, but they haven't so far.

I got my migration code from Pipex but I think I had better be careful and not just jump in without having a good look around. I see there are a number of ISP monitoring sites like http://www.ispreview.co.uk which have associated forums. Getting tied into a long contract with a poor service could be a real problem I had better make sure the one I choose has a reasonable cooling off period included.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

www.newnet.co.uk

They are by far the best ISP i have ever been with. Fair enough its a little more if you are on the month by month contract like myself but if you pay your subs in advance its a good deal and the service is the best around. The download limits depends on the package, im on the HOME M 8meg service and its super. if your at one of their unbundled exchanges your much better off speed wise :)

TalkTalk say they have a 40gig limit but its not very easy to hit that limit as you'll styart getting throttled well before that!

Failing that the other best ISP is ZEN, but have a look at thinkbroadband.com i think the URL is and do the comparisons. Not many people are on newnet either so there is no where near as much congestion or contention on their network :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is a very similar thread running on NADS that may have some useful information to help your decision making.
I have nothing to offer as I have a crappy 1GB line from BT, supposed to be 8GB but the ancient copper won't stand for it.
It is around £25 a month, uncapped and there are a few other bits and bobs thrown in with the Option 3 tarriff.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Sorry for the Off-topic post but....

Anyone using BT broadband or thinking of doing so may be interested in this article.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/27 ... mmer_2007/
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That is certainly a cause for concern - I'm surprised I missed that as I generaly dip in to The Register daily.

I'm not advocating that anyone use BT. They are too expensive and if you have a problem with them, best to forget it.
I haven't had any loss of service to complain about but actually signing up for Total Broadband after them whinging on at me for a year was a never to be repeated exercise that should have been completed in half a minute on their website and ended up taking closer to three months and 15 hours on the phone (and I hate using phones!) the hubphone still doesn't work, I've given up on it.

I do keep an eye out for unusual activity, especially outbound but haven't seen anything that worries me - yet.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

MikeT wrote:Sorry for the Off-topic post but....

Anyone using BT broadband or thinking of doing so may be interested in this article.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/27 ... mmer_2007/
There is an additional report on that in today's Register
Looks like an opt-out is available.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I think ISP's risk breaking the law if they don't find an alternative opt-in, as Talk Talk are commenting on. But that's little comfort for those that were subjected to the trials already carried out by BT - which BT vehemently denied doing, originally.

I would be livid if I knew everything I entered via internet webforms or webmail had been passed to, stored and analysed by any third party - let alone one with roots in spyware!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As usual with The Reg, the attached comments provide quite a lot of insight.
Among them is the Petition to get the government to investigate Phorm.
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

Many thanks KP for those references, I'll check them out.
It's good that they have shorter contracts available if needed.
It looks like there's quite a bit of competition for new customers.

Thanks also myglaren and MikeT for your input. That Register report on Phorn is really quite disturbing. It wouldn't surprise me if government agencies like the CIA will be one of their main customes, or they might even be behind the whole thing in the first place.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

It is very disturbing and I'm sure any government would envy such access. I doubt petitioning our own will gain any sympathy.