Xantia radiator - wrong pipes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RugbyPete

Xantia radiator - wrong pipes?

Post by RugbyPete »

I got a radiator fromt he scrappy

My pipes go OVER the radiator connector, and clamp

the radiator that arrived fits OVER the pipe. Obviously i have no way of securing as the radiator part is solid plastic

Any tips?

Do i need new pipes or can i get my current pipe to attach somehow?

the breaker obviously couldnt be bothered to take off the bottom one as he cut it instead.

Help appreciated, frustrating!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It sounds like you have got a radiator from a later car which uses the bayonet type fittings - I doubt you will make any sense of fitting this to your car. TBH unless it is in spotless condition, given the generally short lived nature of Xantia TD rads I would get a new one (only about £100).
Richard W
RugbyPete

Post by RugbyPete »

what about sticking/gluing/epoxy it somehow permenantly?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The only other thing Pete, is to swap top and bottom hoses for the later bayonet type..

I'd never recommend any kind of sticking/gluing/epoxying. If it let go and killed your engine...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would not go the way of making the rad you got from scrappys fit as they are a BBBBB to get them to seal, i have just fitted a good late type S/H rad to my R reg TD, on removing the bottom hose from the old rad found the metal fitting which plugs into the rad had rustted away, so i bought a new bottom hose about £40 squide from dealer, blinking thing still leaked,

were abouts are you as a guy in irland contacted me he has a rad which is about three months old he removed from his XANT, offerd it to me for about £40 squide including caridge
regards malcolm
RugbyPete

Post by RugbyPete »

hi
I'm in the uk

just paid 45 for this one :(

I could buy the pipes could i not?

Whats the correct name for these type of connectors (that fit in tot he radiator
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

To be honest, I'd bite the bullet and get a new rad of the proper type.

An alarm bell rings with me. You mentioned that the scrappy had cut the bottom hose. That's most likely because he could not easily get the hose out of the bayonet socket.

You'll find the bottom hose is well corroded in place and it is hellishly difficult to nigh-on impossible to get them out without causing damage to the bayonet bore and this is more likely why yours continued to leak even with a new hose Malcolm.

Bayonet connectors are fine as long as you don't disturb them or only disturb them to put a new rad in...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RugbyPete

Post by RugbyPete »

](*,)

:cry:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

no help Pete but it can work the other way around..
I brought a new (hardly used) mark 1 TD rad for my Mk2 before I knew this..

I cut the bayonets off the existing pipes, leaving open rubber pipe and clamped onto rad.. perfect so far after a few thousand KM... there is a slight constriction on the top pipe, but can find no adverse affects...

find a breaking M2 and buy the pipes?
John
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

My Xantia has the newer type push to fit connectors and the bottom one is a real sod to remove and reinstall. When my local dealer can get the right part, I plan to buy a top hose (cheaper than the bottom one), slot it into the bottom rad hole, shorten the bottom hose and connect the two together with a bit of pipe. You then have a normal jubilee clip to remove if you ever have to undo the bottom hose; and you can leave the bottom push to fit connector in place as long as the rad lasts. Replace the rad and just buy a new top hose and connect it up the same...
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

That is one seriously good idea :D
Jim