Berlingo Glow plugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paddy69

Berlingo Glow plugs

Post by paddy69 »

Hi!
I have a Berlingo van on a 52 plate, straight 1.9 diesel (DW8 engine).
It didn't start one morning after it had sat over the weekend when we were having really cold weather. It had been really cold and I thought maybe the diesel had waxed. Then again a cold morning recently it coughed and spluttered so I figured a glow plug (or two) must be out.
Can anyone tell me the best way to access them??? I have to take the air distributor off and am struggling with a stupid clip that holds the pipe on from the exhaust. Does (should) the air distributor come away from the gubbins in front of it (which this pipe is connected to) or do I have to take it all off?? If I get that clip off is it possibel to re-use or do I have to buy another???
Any help/advice much appreciated!
Thanks!
Phil
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Phil and welcome to the forum :D

The job should be very similar to this thread here.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23436

The DW8 is only a development of the XUD9 and having the Lucas injection pump is likely to be a lot easier. The Bosch pump does restrict access to No.4 glowplug terribly but not so on us lucky enough to have Lucas pumps :lol:

Wether or not the inlet runners have to come off depends on how well you can get at the glowplugs with it in place. On my 21.TD, with much the same setup it is possible although it'll be a lot easier if it does come off..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
paddy69

Post by paddy69 »

Thanks for the welcome and advice! :D
I tried to reply before but couldn't get on! :(
I will have a go at this this weekend, hopefully, as I see freezing weather is being forecast again for next week! Bit of a pain if your vehicle doesn't start at 5.30 am and you have to go off in the wife's Peug.
Phil
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When I needed to remove the clamp around the pipe work, I found I couldn't easily get a replacement. I used a junior hacksaw and cut off the joint on the clamp. When I needed to replace it, I used the old clamp but held it in place with a jubilee clip around it.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
paddy69

Post by paddy69 »

Done it!
I decided not to remove the clamp! I just undid all the bolts and all the wiring and pipes to it, also the clamp on the side of the engine holding the pipe down, and then just manouvered the air distributor around and worked around it!
Got all the new plugs in. It was only one that had died!
Phil