Exhaust Gasket/ gear change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Exhaust Gasket/ gear change

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all,
My mkII td xantia has a problem, When I accelarate the exhaust vibrates and is loud, not every time though!!! So this leaves me with the impression that the exhaust to manifold gasket has busted probably, and/or an engine mount has gone. Now, I have replaced the drivers side engine mount and the lower mount under the car. Also, the gearchange has gone notchy, The gearbox mount seems ok.
Any ideas???
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Both could well be connnected. I reckon the "brillo pad" gasket has failed on the exhaust manifold to down-pipe joint. Check by having the car started from cold with your head under the bonnet and looking for diesel smoke and smelling for diesel fumes.

The gearchange linkage balljoints may have suffered from getting blasts of hot exhaust gases, drying the grease in them and upsetting your gearchange. A few of the balljoints are in very close proximity to the exhaust.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

where can i get a new brillo gasket from on its own without having to buy a kit?
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Try any local car spares place, they are common enough to be fairly easily availabel, or drop a request in to GSF Car Parts
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

mind you dont buy the cheaper fiber one as it wont last five minuites, GSF do sell the kit, or try your local exhaust shops
regards malcolm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I had that gasket fail and it led to fumes entering the venting system so if you have the fan on and smell fumes when statiionary for a minute or more you can be sure it's leaking.

I bought the OEM kit about £15 - gets you new bolts, springs, cups, washers and the original brillo pad. Reason being, I was told, is the pattern parts are not up to the job.