206 Speedo problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Woodgnome

206 Speedo problem

Post by Woodgnome »

I have a 1999 206L and the speedo is permanently registering full scale even with the ignition off. Wondered if this is a sensor or speedo head fault. Any help would be much appreciated.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Good to see you've logged in OK :D

MK2 Xantias suffer this with their tacho needles usually as a result of tring to start with a near-flat battery.

The needle will be stuck and needs to be carefully released. Some advocate drilling a tiny, unobtrusive hole in the glass and using a very fime wire to nudge the needle back and others have reported being able to do the same by poking a fine wire in through the trip reset button.

Else, take the instrument pod out and give it a sharp tap to dislodge the needle.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Woodgnome

Post by Woodgnome »

Thaks Jim, Ill try this at the weekend and let you know how it goes.
Rgds, Paul
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I've been able to get them back to 0 again by removing the battery positive lead (with a fully charged battery) & touching it on & off the post quickly a few times, get someone to watch the speedo & tell you if it goes back.
Woodgnome

Post by Woodgnome »

Hi Folks,
Removed instrument pod as Jim sggested but needle wouldn't move with sharp tap so removed plastic facia and physically moved needle back to zero. There was some resistance so thought the unit was probably damaged. Anyway put it all back together and went for quick test drive not expecting anything to happen and SHOCK, HORROR, the damn thing actually worked. Not sure how long for or why it happened in the first place but for now all is ok.
Thanks again for your help.
Paul